+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does E-Cas update & Passport App correspond

ellisweston

Oct 14, 2009
Hi

When someone finishes oath and receives the citizenship certificate, generally how many days does it take to reflect on e-cas that the decision is made and update that applicant has now become a Canadian citizen?

And does this e-cas update means that now the citizenship officer has made the certificate available for Passport Canada to verify and hence the Passport office can now accept the application for issuing new Canadian passport?

Is there any correlation between e-cas update and Passport Canada's ability to verify the citizenship status?

Many thanks!
EW

clearly

Star Member
Jul 12, 2013
It's a good question, but I can't imagine so. I think the citizenship certificate is taken on its face as proof of Canadian citizenship, as you became a citizen by law when you recited the oath and were given your certificate. E-cas not being up to date doesn't change that. They wouldn't be able to deny your passport based on that, after all. I'd apply immediately.

ellisweston

Oct 14, 2009
CIC says it takes two business days to update information where Passport Canada can access new citizenship details. Unfortunately, it has been longer than that. I thought of asking this question rather than running to Passport Canada everyday and being disappointed.

After you complete the oath ceremony, did you e-cas update to tell you that you became a Canadian Citizen or it still tells you about your Notice to Appear for Oath Ceremony. Also, on the previous page, does it say - Decision Made or In Process?

Thanks,
EW