+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does an 8-months PGWP help at all with Express Entry points?

Dec 10, 2022
Does anyone know whether an 8-months PGWP helps with getting PR in any way? Mostly, it's full years of work experience that give Express Entry points, isn't it? The diploma I'm looking at would only give me 8 months. Does this duration of PGWP help at all with points? Thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Does anyone know whether an 8-months PGWP helps with getting PR in any way? Mostly, it's full years of work experience that give Express Entry points, isn't it? The diploma I'm looking at would only give me 8 months. Does this duration of PGWP help at all with points? Thanks
No, it won't really since you need a year of Canadian work experience to get additional points.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
If you only get an 8 month PGWP then it will not give you a year of Canadian experience. You want to make sure you take a program that gives you a one year PGWP. So select a program that does. In fact, you should consider a two year program to give you at least 2 years to work in Canada. This way if you don’t find a skilled job right away, you have a buffer to get at least one year of Canadian experience. Even with a one year PGWP, you have to make sure you have a skilled job ASAP.

Dec 10, 2022
I know a longer degree would help, but I can't afford more than this particular diploma as an international student. I already wasted money on my Bachelor's degree in Canada, sadly never took the PGWP (graduated spring 2020 and thought I'd wait a bit because of the pandemic - found out too late you have to take it within just 90 days back then, had to leave). But does anyone know how many more points a post-graduation diploma (1 year) from here abroad would give me compared to one in Canada? Since the PGWP after the 8-month diploma wouldn't be helpful anyway, does it make sense in terms of CRS points to take this diploma in Canada vs. just taking it here abroad?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I know a longer degree would help, but I can't afford more than this particular diploma as an international student. I already wasted money on my Bachelor's degree in Canada, sadly never took the PGWP (graduated spring 2020 and thought I'd wait a bit because of the pandemic - found out too late you have to take it within just 90 days back then, had to leave). But does anyone know how many more points a post-graduation diploma (1 year) from here abroad would give me compared to one in Canada? Since the PGWP after the 8-month diploma wouldn't be helpful anyway, does it make sense in terms of CRS points to take this diploma in Canada vs. just taking it here abroad?
Here is the points grid.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/eligibility/criteria-comprehensive-ranking-system/grid.html

Also use the CRS calculator tool to see the points of having a year of Canadian work experience. You could get more points by having two or more degrees/diplomas with a one year diploma. But for that it will not matter if Canadian or not.

t6e4m8

Star Member
Aug 3, 2019
Alberta, Canada
I don’t know if this could help you in any way, but my master’s program in Canada was 1 year long, so if the visa officer was really gonna dig and search, I would only get 1 year PGWP. I found my master’s program too challenging, so I took fewer graduate courses and included 1 or 2 undergraduate courses each semester(and maintain full-time), so I finished my program in 3 years. When I was asking my school for the completion letter, i kindly asked them to indicate my start date and end date, which fortunately they did. My admissions letter which has a section for immigration details indicates that my program is at least 2 years ( I don’t know why, but guess it’s a general way the school use). My transcript would also show that I studied for 3 years. So I ended up getting the 3-year PGWP. Now I’m in the final stage to become a PR.