+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does a low GPA like 2.2 or 2.5 matter in getting a postgraduate work permit (PGWP) in Canada?

ammarshah

Mar 20, 2016
Hello Everyone,

Can any one let me know if graduating from low GPA like 2.2 or 2.5 will cause any problems in obtaining a PGWP. I am currently doing Bachelors in Applied Computer Science 4 Years but planning to switch to 3 years and graduate will those cause any problems for PGWP. As international student it is hard to cope up with everything. I have not failed in any of my subjects go C and B and B+ and 3 Ds in other subjects and have been a full time student since I started school in Canada back in 2016. Will appreciate your best opinions.

Also I have been working on Campus as a Student Assistance in the Technology Solution (IT Department) from 2016 and still working until I graduate. Will this experience help me in PGWP application.

I am switching to a 3 year degree from 4 years will that be okay or will it cause any problems in PGWP.

One more thing I forgot to mention. I am graduating in the coming end of April. My graduation ceremony will be on 14th June. But my study permit expires on 9th of September. Should I apply for extension first or directly go for the PGWP as it says that you should have a valid study permit while applying for PGWP and I am scared that what if the decision does not come before 9th of September. Although I am gonna get my transcripts and official letter of graduation and apply by 20th of May.

Thanks
Ammar

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Low marks will not be an issue for getting an approved PGWP. Provided you successfully complete your program and are a full time student, you should have no issues obtaining a PGWP.

No - your work experience will not help in getting the PGWP approved. Work experience is irrelevant for the PGWP process.

Reactions: ammarshah

ammarshah

Mar 20, 2016
Low marks will not be an issue for getting an approved PGWP. Provided you successfully complete your program and are a full time student, you should have no issues obtaining a PGWP.

No - your work experience will not help in getting the PGWP approved. Work experience is irrelevant for the PGWP process.
Hi,

Yes my graduation requirement is a minimum of 2.00 GPA and I have been a full time student and have not taken any semester off except for summers from May to August as those are counted as breaks. I have also confirmed with the International Student Services and they said that summer breaks are not counted as part of being full time and will not affect your status for PGWP, only Fall & Winter Terms count and you have to remain full time in those terms. I was scared because of low GPA that it can be a problem in getting PGWP apart from that all other requirements like being a full time student is complete although I have taken less course load as minimum of 3 courses are counted as full time for a term so I take 3 a term due to my Job as well as it requires me to be a full time student at school.

Also as I am switching to a 3 year degree from 4 years will that be okay or will it cause any problems in PGWP.

One more thing I forgot to mention. I am graduating in the coming end of April. My graduation ceremony will be on 14th June. But my study permit expires on 9th of September. Should I apply for extension first or directly go for the PGWP as it says that you should have a valid study permit while applying for PGWP and I am scared that what if the decision does not come before 9th of September. Although I am gonna get my transcripts and official letter of graduation and apply by 20th of May.

Thanks
Ammar

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi,

Yes my graduation requirement is a minimum of 2.00 GPA and I have been a full time student and have not taken any semester off except for summers from May to August as those are counted as breaks. I have also confirmed with the International Student Services and they said that summer breaks are not counted as part of being full time and will not affect your status for PGWP, only Fall & Winter Terms count and you have to remain full time in those terms. I was scared because of low GPA that it can be a problem in getting PGWP apart from that all other requirements like being a full time student is complete although I have taken less course load as minimum of 3 courses are counted as full time for a term so I take 3 a term due to my Job as well as it requires me to be a full time student at school.

Also as I am switching to a 3 year degree from 4 years will that be okay or will it cause any problems in PGWP.

Thanks
Ammar
You are allowed to take summer breaks off - they are not counted as a break in continuous studies. You are also allowed to switch programs. Based on the info you've provided, I don't see anything that would prevent you from being approved for a PGWP.

I would apply for the PGWP as soon as you complete your studies and have all of the paperwork you need. As long as the PGWP application is received before your study permit expires, there shouldn't be a problem.

Reactions: ammarshah

ammarshah

Mar 20, 2016
You are allowed to take summer breaks off - they are not counted as a break in continuous studies. You are also allowed to switch programs. Based on the info you've provided, I don't see anything that would prevent you from being approved for a PGWP.

I would apply for the PGWP as soon as you complete your studies and have all of the paperwork you need. As long as the PGWP application is received before your study permit expires, there shouldn't be a problem.
Thank you so much scylla for answering all my questions I have been worried for quite some time and was unable to get clear answers to these questions and could not find any thread related to this. I will apply for PGWP as soon as I get my official transcript and letter of graduation in May. Will not wait for the graduation degree as the convocation is in June so no time.

Thanks
Ammar