+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does 2 PG Diploma(1 in BA + 1 in Marketing) lead to 3 yrs PGWP?

SanketShaw

Dec 4, 2018
Hello friends,

Will I be eligible for 3yrs of work permit if I do 2 different PG Diplomas(say one in business analytics and one in marketing, each 1 year) back to back?

Please guys help me?

Immstu

Champion Member
Jul 31, 2017
Hello friends,

Will I be eligible for 3yrs of work permit if I do 2 different PG Diplomas(say one in business analytics and one in marketing, each 1 year) back to back?

Please guys help me?
You may get 3 years...CIC uses 'may'. Usually in your type of scenario people get 3 years

Delvin

Dec 4, 2018
What if you take 4month breaks between two programs? Still you get 3year stay back or pgwp get rejected?

selvakk

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2018
What if you take 4month breaks between two programs? Still you get 3year stay back or pgwp get rejected?
What is the maximum gap I can between each course on my student visa?
They use a lot of "may's" in the PGWP. As far as I know, it has to be in the next available semester for the program and no gaps can be taken. Eg. I have a 1 year PG course that starts in sept 2019 and ends in Aug 2020. To get a PGWP I would have to start the next course on sept 2020 which would then finish in Aug 2021. You would have to extend your study permit and fingers crossed you will get you 2 years PGWP.

Again a huge if as they are known to reject PGWP if you are trying to join two programs. Recently a student had actually comitted suicide after getting refused for PGWP.

Source : https://windsorstar.com/news/local-news/vigil-held-for-international-student-who-took-his-life-after-visa-application-denied

I would honestly only consider a 1+1 if the additional course really added value to your chosen field and if your initial course is only available for 1 year. Regardless if you get 2 years or 3 years PGWP and then PR eventually you are going to have to get a job to sustain yourself and your family in the future so I would think Career first and then this PGWP and PR second.

Immstu

Champion Member
Jul 31, 2017
What is the maximum gap I can take between each course on my student visa?
Students who have completed a program of study and will be starting a new program of study within 150 days of receiving a written confirmation of program completion from their current institution
Students may work off campus on a full-time basis until the start of their new program if the following applies:

• they meet the eligibility criteria to work off campus [R186(v)]
  • they have received written confirmation of program completion from their current institution (for instance, a transcript or an official letter)
  • they have submitted an application to change conditions, extend their stay or remain in Canada as a student before their current study permit expired, or they still have a valid study permit
  • they have been issued a letter of acceptance to a subsequent program of full-time study at a DLI and will be starting the new program within 150 calendar days of receiving a notification of program completion from their current institution
If the new program of study starts more than 150 calendar days after the first date they receive written confirmation of program completion from their current institution, the student is eligible to work off campus only during the first 150 consecutive days after the first date they receive written confirmation of program completion. They should then either apply to change their status (for instance, change it into visitor status) or leave Canada until their new program commences.

Students who have applied to extend their stay in Canada as a student are required to cease working if their study permit application is refused.

Reminder: When students transfer from one DLI to another, they must update their DLI number in their My Account immediately. When students transfer from one program of study to another at the same DLI, they are not required to notify Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada.

Source : https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/study-permits/campus-work.html#off-campus

SanketShaw

Dec 4, 2018
Students who have completed a program of study and will be starting a new program of study within 150 days of receiving a written confirmation of program completion from their current institution
Students may work off campus on a full-time basis until the start of their new program if the following applies:

• they have received written confirmation of program completion from their current institution (for instance, a transcript or an official letter)
  • they have submitted an application to change conditions, extend their stay or remain in Canada as a student before their current study permit expired, or they still have a valid study permit
  • they have been issued a letter of acceptance to a subsequent program of full-time study at a DLI and will be starting the new program within 150 calendar days of receiving a notification of program completion from their current institution
If the new program of study starts more than 150 calendar days after the first date they receive written confirmation of program completion from their current institution, the student is eligible to work off campus only during the first 150 consecutive days after the first date they receive written confirmation of program completion. They should then either apply to change their status (for instance, change it into visitor status) or leave Canada until their new program commences.

Students who have applied to extend their stay in Canada as a student are required to cease working if their study permit application is refused.

Reminder: When students transfer from one DLI to another, they must update their DLI number in their My Account immediately. When students transfer from one program of study to another at the same DLI, they are not required to notify Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada.

Source : https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/study-permits/campus-work.html#off-campus
So I can study 2 programs of 1 year each with a gap of 150 days(maximum) in between and still be eligible for 3 yrs PGWP?

Yash1995

Apr 13, 2020
They use a lot of "may's" in the PGWP. As far as I know, it has to be in the next available semester for the program and no gaps can be taken. Eg. I have a 1 year PG course that starts in sept 2019 and ends in Aug 2020. To get a PGWP I would have to start the next course on sept 2020 which would then finish in Aug 2021. You would have to extend your study permit and fingers crossed you will get you 2 years PGWP.

Again a huge if as they are known to reject PGWP if you are trying to join two programs. Recently a student had actually comitted suicide after getting refused for PGWP.

Source : https://windsorstar.com/news/local-news/vigil-held-for-international-student-who-took-his-life-after-visa-application-denied

I would honestly only consider a 1+1 if the additional course really added value to your chosen field and if your initial course is only available for 1 year. Regardless if you get 2 years or 3 years PGWP and then PR eventually you are going to have to get a job to sustain yourself and your family in the future so I would think Career first and then this PGWP and PR second.
Mind you, a post graduate is only of 8 to 12 months. There are no 2 years pg programs and once you graduate in your home country or anywhere else before coming to Canada, you cant think of doing an ordinary diploma as that wouldn't really look good and masters is way beyond our financial capacity. So a 1 +1 would go well but we have to make sure that we do something that is related n relevant to our field

Last edited:

Yash1995

Apr 13, 2020
I guess thats the way..TBH it would not be possible to straight away begin with another program. You have to do a lot in between. Extend your visa, wait for your result, graduate from your previous course.

Last edited:

Yash1995

Apr 13, 2020

They have clarified about the work possibility within that 150 days but they still haven't mentioned about how that will account your PGWP. That's really confusing me