+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do the work permit application after an LMIA with vs without lawyer

SP55555

Mar 14, 2024
Hello,
my partner's employer has just filed LMIA paperwork with a trusted attorney. Now the lawyer is offering to help my partner and me to apply for the work permit. My question is, is it a process that can be done autonomously without the lawyer? I ask because the costs are high and I don't know if we can afford it.

What we would need would be to apply for the work permit my partner, and then me through her.

Thank you in advance

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hello,
my partner's employer has just filed LMIA paperwork with a trusted attorney. Now the lawyer is offering to help my partner and me to apply for the work permit. My question is, is it a process that can be done autonomously without the lawyer? I ask because the costs are high and I don't know if we can afford it.

What we would need would be to apply for the work permit my partner, and then me through her.

Thank you in advance
If you have the LMIA and all the required documents to prove you can meet the NOC, then do it yourself. Employer has paid the $1k. Google - apply work permit Canada to read steps.

SP55555

Mar 14, 2024
Thanks for your answer.

What do you mean with all the documents to meet the NOC? Related to the LMIA is on the government, but the lawyer said that is very probable that will be positive.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thanks for your answer.

What do you mean with all the documents to meet the NOC? Related to the LMIA is on the government, but the lawyer said that is very probable that will be positive.
Well you have to prove you can do the job. The NOC will tell you what education you must have. Plus you will have reference letters that you have experience. What is the NOC?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
An LMIA is never guaranteed and given rising unemployment numbers and IRCC starting to take LMIA fraud more seriously will likely get harder to get approved. You can apply for a WP on your own if the LMIA is approved.

SP55555

Mar 14, 2024
What would be the difference between applying if she (my girlfriend) still has her current work permit valid and if the current work permit expires? it is confusing for me on the website

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
What would be the difference between applying if she (my girlfriend) still has her current work permit valid and if the current work permit expires? it is confusing for me on the website
Is she applying for the LMIA or you? You want to apply before permit expires. Are you common law? If so for how long? Are you in Canada too?

SP55555

Mar 14, 2024
Is she applying for the LMIA or you? You want to apply before permit expires. Are you common law? If so for how long? Are you in Canada too?
LMIA application was for my girlfriend. We are both on an open work permit that expires in September 7. We are common law for 4 years. We are both in Canada.