+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do Parents Need an Extension of Super Visa if Given Six Months Upon Arrival

Madal

Jan 11, 2014
Hello everyone,

There is a grand father who came to Canada through Super Visa. For his first entry, he was issued five year multiple entry visa and after staying for two years, he went back home. He came back to Canada for the second time, but the immigration officer at the airport gave him six months only.

My question is does he need an extension to stay for two years, or only medical insurance coverage for two years? If yes to the first one, what was the use of five years multiple entry visa?

In addition to that, in CIC website, I found this article defining the difference between Visitor Visa and Super Visa:

"How does the parent and grandparent super visa differ from a visitor visa?
Currently, most visitors to Canada may visit for up to six months when they first enter Canada. Visitors who wish to stay longer must apply f for an extension, and pay a new fee. With the parent and grandparent super visa, eligible parents and grandparents can visit family in Canada for up to two years without the need to renew their status"

Does this contradict with the six months the immigration officer at the airport gave this grand parent?

I would appreciate if anyone has an answer to my question of what we could do to help this old man stay for two more years without going back home after he stays for six months.

Madal

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yes - he needs to apply for an extension since he was only granted a six month visit.

How long your grandfather is allowed into Canada is entirely up to the immigration officer at the border. No contradiction. The super visa can allow someone to remain in Canada as a visitor for up to two years. However whether the full two years is allowed is again entirely up to the immigration officer at the border. If your grandfather returned to Canada for a second visit quite soon after his original two year visit, then it makes sense that the officer limited him to a six month visit this time.

Madal

Jan 11, 2014
Thank you for the reply.
If the grand wants to ask for extension of his stay after six months, is there a fee or a form required by law to fill? and is so, could anyone help tell us which forms to fill?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Madal said:
Thank you for the reply.
If the grand wants to ask for extension of his stay after six months, is there a fee or a form required by law to fill? and is so, could anyone help tell us which forms to fill?
As usual, everything can be found on the CIC web site:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/extend/visa.asp

maunishq

Mar 11, 2017
Same issue with my mother as well.
Border agent informed that 2 years permit is only for the 1st time and then onwards it is only 6 months validity.

Question: Is there any medical exam involved for visa extension? I know that if you want to extend your regular visitor visa you have to go through a medical examination. I am not sure about Super Visa.

Thanks,

MC.