+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do I still need to send my passport to VFS/VAC?

dotlemon

Apr 1, 2021
I live in Mexico but I had to go to the New York VFS (VAC) office in order to get my biometrics taken. It's been a couple of weeks and there is no indication of me getting a passport request letter. My application has been approved and I did get the letter that states so in my CIC account, the one you show to the border officer at the airport. It also says "if you are from a country or territory which requires a temporary resident visa... ,you have also been issued a visa. This visa has been affixed in your passport, and is valid for multiple visits to Canada until it expires" Does this mean that the multiple entries eTA has been already linked to my passport and therefore I do not need to send it back.

I think the passport request letter is usually part of the process but I am confused because there isn't a place that indicates that I have to do so. Did this change due to covid? Is it usually sent to the CIC messages or is it standard print mail? I already have the eTA number so even if it's not linked to the passport I could still enter Canada in theory, right?

My course start date is April 19th but it can be pushed to June if I still need to complete this.

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
I live in Mexico but I had to go to the New York VFS (VAC) office in order to get my biometrics taken. It's been a couple of weeks and there is no indication of me getting a passport request letter. My application has been approved and I did get the letter that states so in my CIC account, the one you show to the border officer at the airport. It also says "if you are from a country or territory which requires a temporary resident visa... ,you have also been issued a visa. This visa has been affixed in your passport, and is valid for multiple visits to Canada until it expires" Does this mean that the multiple entries eTA has been already linked to my passport and therefore I do not need to send it back.

I think the passport request letter is usually part of the process but I am confused because there isn't a place that indicates that I have to do so. Did this change due to covid? Is it usually sent to the CIC messages or is it standard print mail? I already have the eTA number so even if it's not linked to the passport I could still enter Canada in theory, right?

My course start date is April 19th but it can be pushed to June if I still need to complete this.
Mexicans do not require TRV so you won't get a PPR. You however need to apply for an ETA. Not sure how you will go about that though.

dotlemon

Apr 1, 2021
What if I already have an ETA from them attached to my letter of approval plus one I got last year as a tourist that hasn't expired?