+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do I need to know my electoral districts and their MPs for the exam

thedecemberists

Star Member
Jan 21, 2017
When it comes to the political institutions and politics, I'm not sure what I'm supposed to know. I'm in Toronto, and as far as I understand it, I have to know:
* The division of power at the federal and provincial levels (executive branch, judiciary, etc.)
* Role of the sovereign and Governor General
* Name of the federal and provincial parties, which one's the opposition party at each level, and what the names of the leaders of each party (including PM and Premier)

Am I also supposed to know all the federal and provincial electoral districts in Toronto and the person representing each district at the provincial and federal level?

Finally, am I supposed to know anything about local politics (mayor of toronto, how the city hall works, etc.)?

Thank you

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
When it comes to the political institutions and politics, I'm not sure what I'm supposed to know. I'm in Toronto, and as far as I understand it, I have to know:
* The division of power at the federal and provincial levels (executive branch, judiciary, etc.)
* Role of the sovereign and Governor General
* Name of the federal and provincial parties, which one's the opposition party at each level, and what the names of the leaders of each party (including PM and Premier)

Am I also supposed to know all the federal and provincial electoral districts in Toronto and the person representing each district at the provincial and federal level?

Finally, am I supposed to know anything about local politics (mayor of toronto, how the city hall works, etc.)?

Thank you
Knowing all the parties in Ontario and at the federal level should suffice. I never got any questions asking me to name MPs in various electoral districts and I don't think these type of questions come up on the test. You only need to learn what's in the Discover Canada book.

Here's a summary of the book =>

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/notes-from-discover-canada-preparation-for-the-citizenship-test.734507/