+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do I need medical exam for PGWP if less than 6 months have passed since I left Canada but more than 6 months will have passed during visa processing.

snowraven799

Oct 14, 2024
Hi all,

I left Canada after my graduation from a 1 year IT course recently. I am now planning to apply for PGWP from outside Canada, I don't have a valid TRV so can't move to Canada anyway. The thing is - i am not sure if I should or even can get a medical exam done.

so this is from the official website:

If you plan to stay for more than 6 months

You need a medical exam if at least one of these applies to you:

now, number 1 does not apply to me now, it has been 1 month since I left and I will apply for PGWP in the next 2 months. but I will become part of the number 1 condition as soon as 6 months will have passed here in my home country. Also, you do need a valid medical to enter Canada so it's not a matter of when you apply for visa but rather if you have lived 6 months outside Canada you are supposed to get a medical before entry to Canada. Visa processing times are painful for my country and are right now 6 months+ so I will be become part of condition number 1 no matter when I apply for PGWP. Anyhow, my concern is - there is no field to upload a medical IME sheet while applying if I answer no to these questionnaires - so when a officer looks at my file after like 6 months - could it adversely affect my PGWP since you ARE required to have medical to enter canada and even for visa if you have lived for 6 months outside canada which was false while applying for visa but will become true during my visa processing.

Here are the possible options I have thought:

1. Give medical right away - and answer yes to working in healtcare professions - seems a bit odd as I don't have any healtcare background. This feels possible because PGWP is technically a open work permit - answering yes will require me to have an upfront medical and will give me a PGWP with no work restriction in healthcare professions.
2. Give medical right away - but answer no to working in healthcare and upload medical IME sheet in the client info document with a explanation that you are doing medical early so you don't have to give late.
3. Do not give medical at the time of applying visa - condition 1 does not hold and I should answer without making assumptions about processing times, if the time does eventually pass, give a medical and raise webform. Unfortunatley this causes me worry if visa officers will see my application somehow without a medical and it will have an adverse reaction from them.
4. Do nothing while applying or processing. IRCC will contact me and tell me to get a medical at the right time.