+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do I need LMIA for my application?? Thanks a lot

Oct 11, 2021
Hi,

I'm a foreign student, graduated and currently working under the post- graduate work permit. I do have an IELTS (band 7) test result and real close to apply for the PR under the express entry program.

I do know that a valid job offer + LMIA will definitely increase my CRS point, I did some research online but still confused and wonder If my case actually exempt from one.

I ( and my friend - a sales man - He is just the same as me and planning to apply too) have been working for this company over a year as a technician and the owner agree to write me a job offer.

Here is what mentioned on Canada.ca :

Your employer doesn’t need an LMIA to support your job offer if:

1. you have been working full-time for the employer on your work permit for at least 1 year (or an equal amount of part-time work)
  2. you have a valid job offer, and
  3. you have a valid work permit that is exempt from an LMIA under:
    • an international agreement
    • a federal-provincial agreement
    • the “Canadian interests” category
Thanks a lot and I really appreciate all the answer,

Have a nice day.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi,

I'm a foreign student, graduated and currently working under the post- graduate work permit. I do have an IELTS (band 7) test result and real close to apply for the PR under the express entry program.

I do know that a valid job offer + LMIA will definitely increase my CRS point, I did some research online but still confused and wonder If my case actually exempt from one.

I ( and my friend - a sales man - He is just the same as me and planning to apply too) have been working for this company over a year as a technician and the owner agree to write me a job offer.

Here is what mentioned on Canada.ca :

Your employer doesn’t need an LMIA to support your job offer if:

1. you have been working full-time for the employer on your work permit for at least 1 year (or an equal amount of part-time work)
  2. you have a valid job offer, and
  3. you have a valid work permit that is exempt from an LMIA under:
    • an international agreement
    • a federal-provincial agreement
    • the “Canadian interests” category
Thanks a lot and I really appreciate all the answer,

Have a nice day.
You need a LMIA as you don’t fulfill 3. You are on an open work permit not a LMIA or LMIA exempt permit.