+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do I need ECAS? Applied on july 14th - no updates yet

NovaScotian

Nov 17, 2015
Hi All,

I applied for PR for inland FSW program on 14th July. IT updated my medical passed, but since then there is no updates in my application yet.

First of all I am not at all sure what CIC wants with regard to ECAS. As mentioned, ECAS is good to have as it helps in increasing score for ITA. I did not need more score so I did not opt for ECAS. Further more my masters degree in computer science is in Canada but my bachelor education is from India. So I thought it is fine for me to not apply for ECAS. Now they have mentioned that it is required for FSW program unless you are education is in Canada. I am not sure if my application is not moving anywhere because I did not apply for ECA.

"An ECA is required for candidates in the Express Entry pool who wish to be considered for rounds of invitations related to the Federal Skilled Worker Program, unless they were educated in Canada.
For candidates who are hoping to apply to the Federal Skilled Trades Program or Canadian Experience Class, an ECA is optional but may increase the points they receive on the CRS and improve their chances of being invited to apply." - CIC

How will one know that CIC is going to send invitation for FSW program? I did not opt for ECA as I had more than 1.5 years of Canadian work experience. I did not need more points to get invitation. And they did not even asked me for my ECAS when I submitted my application for FSW.

My status / timeline on CIC is as follows.

Applied on 14th July
Medical passed 20th July.
Since then no updates.

Application/profile status Open
Review of eligibility Review in Progress
Review of medical results Passed
Review of submitted documents No additional documents are needed at this time
Scheduling an interview Not needed at this time
A background check is needed In Progress
Final decision Not Started

My work permit expires on 7th March 2016. Also, I did not get any AOR letter yet from Sydney office only the online acknowledgement of receipt which I read is not enough to apply for bridge work permit as my application is still under review for eligibility and hence they have not sent me an AOR letter.

Any thoughts?