+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do I need an LMIA if I'm already working full-time with an open work permit?

lot.satoru

Aug 9, 2021
Hello, I came to Canada with an open work permit linked to my spouse and I got a full-time job that I'm currently working on. With time I got divorced from my partner and applied to PR individually.
I'm pretty sure my job didn't get an LMIA for my position since they hired me already able to legally work in Canada.
My question is... do I need an LMIA now or can I enter on the express entry application that I have a valid job offer that is exempt from LMIA?
Did someone go through a similar situation?

I'd really appreciate all the help! Thank you very much and have a great week everyone!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello, I came to Canada with an open work permit linked to my spouse and I got a full-time job that I'm currently working on. With time I got divorced from my partner and applied to PR individually.
I'm pretty sure my job didn't get an LMIA for my position since they hired me already able to legally work in Canada.
My question is... do I need an LMIA now or can I enter on the express entry application that I have a valid job offer that is exempt from LMIA?
Did someone go through a similar situation?

I'd really appreciate all the help! Thank you very much and have a great week everyone!
You cannot claim job offer points.

Since you are on an open work permit with no employer named, you cannot claim the 50 job offer points unless your employer obtains an approved LMIA.