+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do I need a Work Permit or a Temporary Resident Visa??

NateAlexander

Apr 21, 2015
App. Filed.......
10-26-2018
Med's Request
01-12-2019
Med's Done....
02-21-2019
So I've been doing a lot of research these past few months as I am in training with a US Employer to work remotely from home. My partner resides in Canada as a Citizen, and our intent is to be able to experience living together for a year before making any decisions on who immigrates where upon our decision to get married. My biggest questions are:

• Can I work remotely while living in Canada?
  • Should I be looking into any sort of Visas or Permits to accomplish this?
  • Would I need to pay taxes in both countries, or one?
  • If I'm not planning to work for any Canadian country, where do I start and what do I need to do to get on the path to living in Canada as a US Citizen who works for a US Company?

I will not be "competing" for labor within Canada in any circumstance, and I will not be the "Head of household" in any regard. I do not plan to stay for more than a year without making a decision on whether to become a citizen or return to the US. My partner and I are not common-law partners and we're not married/engaged in any sense. I want to avoid any unneeded Visas, as I don't NEED one to visit Canada for up to 6 Months. I delved into the "Temporary Visitor" and "Temporary Resident" status, but it just doesn't seem to fit. I want to stay employed with my current company, who allows me to work anywhere as my home is my office, but I am not a "contractor" or anything like that - I file a W4 and have direct deposit and everything I have is dealt in American Currencies and with the IRS, where I get a normal W2 at the end of the fiscal year... I reside in Florida, so unfortunately the closest Consulates are 6+ hours in each direction, and the "phone numbers" have restrictions on what you can and can't call about... and I don't think an Immigration Office can assist with this, as I'm not entering the US so much as I am LEAVING it for a time...

Any help would be great! Thanks so much

Jalex23

VIP Member
Apr 12, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-2013
Doc's Request.
09-04-2014
AOR Received.
06-11-2013
Med's Request
05-04-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
Passport Req..
07-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
06-09-2014
NateAlexander said:
Can I work remotely while living in Canada?
Only if your employer is not Canadian, you are not being paid in Canada and none of the clients are Canadian.

NateAlexander said:
Should I be looking into any sort of Visas or Permits to accomplish this?
Depends on yur specifics.

NateAlexander said:
Would I need to pay taxes in both countries, or one?
Depends on yur specifics.

NateAlexander said:
If I'm not planning to work for any Canadian country, where do I start and what do I need to do to get on the path to living in Canada as a US Citizen who works for a US Company?
Uh? Any Canadian country?

If you want to live in Canada then you need a PR. Use the tool:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/eligibility.asp

NateAlexander

Apr 21, 2015
App. Filed.......
10-26-2018
Med's Request
01-12-2019
Med's Done....
02-21-2019
Thanks for the response!

I meant to type "Company" not Country... but from what I have been reading about the Foreign work program, is that it only applies to those who are "directly competing" with Canadian citizens, for which I would not be... The company I work for handles everything is US Based forms, such as the IRS and W2/W4 information... I would like to be there for longer than 6 months, but not for longer than a year. I plan to decided whether or not I want to become a permanent resident. My partner is a Canadian Citizen, so I'm having him also search for a little clarification but the hunt is not so fruitful. The most I can find is that I may need a Work Permit OR Temporary Residency, but those are both luke warm options as neither is really NEEDED or been established as a requirement. What exactly is a PR? Thanks again!

Jalex23

VIP Member
Apr 12, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-2013
Doc's Request.
09-04-2014
AOR Received.
06-11-2013
Med's Request
05-04-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
Passport Req..
07-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
06-09-2014
NateAlexander said:
Thanks for the response!

I meant to type "Company" not Country... but from what I have been reading about the Foreign work program, is that it only applies to those who are "directly competing" with Canadian citizens, for which I would not be... The company I work for handles everything is US Based forms, such as the IRS and W2/W4 information... I would like to be there for longer than 6 months, but not for longer than a year. I plan to decided whether or not I want to become a permanent resident. My partner is a Canadian Citizen, so I'm having him also search for a little clarification but the hunt is not so fruitful. The most I can find is that I may need a Work Permit OR Temporary Residency, but those are both luke warm options as neither is really NEEDED or been established as a requirement. What exactly is a PR? Thanks again!
Permanent resident.