+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do I have to leave if my extension isn't approved before my previous visa expires?

Legoman Rob

May 3, 2020
I'm a U.S. citizen that has been living with my husband in Canada for 6 months. I applied for an extension to my visa due to the COVID19 situation. I applied over a month ago and there have been no updates made to my status yet. My current 6-month visitor allowance expires next week. Will I need to leave the country if I am not approved by then or can I stay until there has been a decision made?

Reactions: Usa2canada<3

Usa2canada<3

Star Member
Feb 21, 2020
Ontario
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
13-08-2020
AOR Received.
11-25-2020
I'm a U.S. citizen that has been living with my husband in Canada for 6 months. I applied for an extension to my visa due to the COVID19 situation. I applied over a month ago and there have been no updates made to my status yet. My current 6-month visitor allowance expires next week. Will I need to leave the country if I am not approved by then or can I stay until there has been a decision made?
Untill a decision is made you have what is called implied status. I called ircc to talk to them about this a while ago because i noticed the processing delay they told me even if you waited to apply till right before your status expires you will have implied status until they make a decision.