+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do I get 50 points for this?

BFEnigma

Mar 3, 2023
Let me explain my situation.
  1. I came to canada after I got LMIA approved work permit (closed). This had an 8 digit LMIA number in this format: 8xxxxxxx
  2. Soon after that, I switched to a new employer. Apparently, there's a process to switch your closed work permit to a new employer.
  3. After this process, I got a new closed work permit with my employers name on it. This has an LMIA (exempt?) number in this format: Axxxxxxx
My questions are:
  1. Is this an LMIA number, or LMIA exempt number?
  2. Is there a way I can claim my 50 points for Express entry?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
  1. I came to canada after I got LMIA approved work permit (closed). This had an 8 digit LMIA number in this format: 8xxxxxxx
  2. Soon after that, I switched to a new employer. Apparently, there's a process to switch your closed work permit to a new employer.
  3. After this process, I got a new closed work permit with my employers name on it. This has an LMIA (exempt?) number in this format: Axxxxxxx
My questions are:
You have to work for your new employer in Canada for a full year before you can cliam the 50 points. When did you get your new work permit tied to your new employer?

BFEnigma

Mar 3, 2023
You have to work for your new employer in Canada for a full year before you can cliam the 50 points. When did you get your new work permit tied to your new employer?
Quite recently. So if I get this right, that number on my new work permit is an LMIA exempt number? So effectively, I do not have an LMIA supported job offer?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Quite recently. So if I get this right, that number on my new work permit is an LMIA exempt number? So effectively, I do not have an LMIA supported job offer?
I can't tell you that. You should know this answer based on the process you went through to get the new work permit.

If your work permit is LMIA exempt, then you need to work for your new employer for one full year in Canada before you can claim the 50 points.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
My questions are:
Did you get a new LMIA? Your LMIA will have the name of your employer who you must work for. You cannot just switch. This is the policy. You can change employers and continue working if you have a new LMIA.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/service-delivery/coronavirus/temporary-residence/work-permit/visitor-work-permits.html

BFEnigma

Mar 3, 2023
Did you get a new LMIA? Your LMIA will have the name of your employer who you must work for. You cannot just switch. This is the policy. You can change employers and continue working if you have a new LMIA.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/service-delivery/coronavirus/temporary-residence/work-permit/visitor-work-permits.html
For my previous job, I did go through the process of LMIA. But I don't remember if that's the case for this new job. Though my new work permit does mention my employer. Perhaps I should ask this to my HR?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
For my previous job, I did go through the process of LMIA. But I don't remember if that's the case for this new job. Though my new work permit does mention my employer. Perhaps I should ask this to my HR?
So you were approved for a new LMIA?

BFEnigma

Mar 3, 2023
So you were approved for a new LMIA?
TBH, I don't know. An immigration lawyer associated with my employer handled the paperwork. From what I have in my e-mails, this lawyer once mentioned about generating an LMIA exemption code starting with "A". Co-incidentally, the code on my work permit starts with an "A" too.

My confusion stems from the fact that I was required to get an LMIA for the previous job. But this new job, which has the same NOC code as the previous one seems to be LMIA exempt.

I've strolled through many threads on similar topics. Though none seem to help because they tend to be about people on PGWP or similar.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
TBH, I don't know. An immigration lawyer associated with my employer handled the paperwork. From what I have in my e-mails, this lawyer once mentioned about generating an LMIA exemption code starting with "A". Co-incidentally, the code on my work permit starts with an "A" too.

My confusion stems from the fact that I was required to get an LMIA for the previous job. But this new job, which has the same NOC code as the previous one seems to be LMIA exempt.

I've strolled through many threads on similar topics. Though none seem to help because they tend to be about people on PGWP or similar.
Only a few jobs are LMIA exempt (Free Trade, company transfer). The issue is that to claim 50 points, your LMIA must match your employer. Talk to the immigration lawyer and HR.

BFEnigma

Mar 3, 2023
Only a few jobs are LMIA exempt (Free Trade, company transfer). The issue is that to claim 50 points, your LMIA must match your employer. Talk to the immigration lawyer and HR.
Talked to them on phone, and I found out that this Work permit is LMIA exempt. That ends my dream to get those sweet sweet 50 points?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Talked to them on phone, and I found out that this Work permit is LMIA exempt. That ends my dream to get those sweet sweet 50 points?
Once you work for the employer for a year and they give you a new job offer then you can claim the points.