+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do digital art commissions count as "work"?

bunhearts

Jul 8, 2024
Hello!
I'm from the USA and planning to move to Quebec and pursue inland spousal sponsorship with my Canadian spouse. We are both artists, and at the moment the only income I receive is from digital art commissions, which get paid to me in USD. I want to continue taking digital art commissions to support us when we move, but I'm not sure if it requires a work permit or not. I looked at what is considered work, and came across this passage:
"self-employment where the work to be done would have no real impact on the labour market, nor really provide an opportunity for Canadians. Examples include a U.S. farmer crossing the border to work on fields that he owns, or a miner coming to work on his own claim"
I do not see how me doing commissions in Quebec would impact the labor market of Canada, and I do not see how I'd be taking an opportunity from Canadians. It seems like this wouldn't count as work and I'd be able to continue them until I'm able to get a work permit. I just wanted to know if this was sound or not, or if I'd have to halt taking commissions until I can get the work permit.
Any help is greatly appreciated, Thank you.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello!
I'm from the USA and planning to move to Quebec and pursue inland spousal sponsorship with my Canadian spouse. We are both artists, and at the moment the only income I receive is from digital art commissions, which get paid to me in USD. I want to continue taking digital art commissions to support us when we move, but I'm not sure if it requires a work permit or not. I looked at what is considered work, and came across this passage:
"self-employment where the work to be done would have no real impact on the labour market, nor really provide an opportunity for Canadians. Examples include a U.S. farmer crossing the border to work on fields that he owns, or a miner coming to work on his own claim"
I do not see how me doing commissions in Quebec would impact the labor market of Canada, and I do not see how I'd be taking an opportunity from Canadians. It seems like this wouldn't count as work and I'd be able to continue them until I'm able to get a work permit. I just wanted to know if this was sound or not, or if I'd have to halt taking commissions until I can get the work permit.
Any help is greatly appreciated, Thank you.
The short answer is that it is legal to do this without a work permit as long as your clients / customers are not located in Canada. So you can do and accept this work for customers located in other counties. If you want to do work for Canadian customers / clients, then you need a work permit or it is classified as working illegally.

bunhearts

Jul 8, 2024
The short answer is that it is legal to do this without a work permit as long as your clients / customers are not located in Canada. So you can do and accept this work for customers located in other counties. If you want to do work for Canadian customers / clients, then you need a work permit or it is classified as working illegally.
Thank you for the response! This clears a lot up for me. I'll still get a work permit, but until then I'll be able to continue getting commissions while declining Canadian clients.

Reactions: YVR123 and scylla