+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Divorce question

aichorar

Jul 15, 2021
Hi,

We received ITA recently, I applied as main applicant with my wife as dependent for PNP and got 600 points which secured ITA for us.
Now I have a question that we are currently going through rough stage when we live separately and talk about divorce every week or so.
I indicated that she will be accompanying me in Canada. deadlines are approaching and I was thinking if I could ask for extra time from IRCC til we figure out what to do, whether I apply as single or married.

Also another question that worries me is does my marital status effect further evaluation if I already have ITA? Does it make sense for me to apply at all if i get divorced?

oinkario

Nov 2, 2021
Category........
PNP
Although I feel sorry for your rough situation, from an immigration perspective getting divorced is not that different from getting married, provided that you have the paperwork ready.

The key question here, when it comes to EE, might be “can you make it within the deadline”? Applying as married is ok even if you decide to divorce later. You just have to update this status, and most likely it will cause some moderate delay. But whether your partner is cooperative in this process is another story. People going from single to married has this part easy.

Applying as single however is beyond my knowledge as you will have a profile different from your ITA.