+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Divorce process

go.quebec

Mar 19, 2017
I’m facing issues in my married life for past 4-5 years. It is in my best interest to sponsor my wife and kids. However after several attempts to restore the marriage it is about to broke. I wanted to ask anyone here who have gone through similar situations.

what do I have to do to perform divorce as a Canadian citizen and she being Indian. What are the applicable rules and how can I proceed with a Canadian court.
Do I gonna need a lawyer or I can file my own case here?
How does the international case work here?
How can I claim custody of my kids?
Can I at least separate with her?
Does it impact my citizenship?
Any other insights would be appreciated.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
I’m facing issues in my married life for past 4-5 years. It is in my best interest to sponsor my wife and kids. However after several attempts to restore the marriage it is about to broke. I wanted to ask anyone here who have gone through similar situations.

what do I have to do to perform divorce as a Canadian citizen and she being Indian. What are the applicable rules and how can I proceed with a Canadian court.
Most of your questions are family law related.

- sure
- no

Reactions: scylla

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

There's no impact to your citizenship. Agreed the rest of your questions are not immigration related. You'll need to hire a family lawyer to represent you who is familiar with international custody laws.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you.
Can anyone suggest me where can I find family lawyer in QC? Or anyone can recommend me one?
You need to look elsewhere for a recommendation. This forum sometimes has recommendations for immigrating lawyers. But you need a family lawyer. That's nothing to do with immigration. I would recommend doing online searches for forums related to Quebec family law. You can also google lawyer reviews.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Have you actually sponsored your spouse and children? If your spouse hasn’t landed as a PR you can’t sponsor them if the relationship is over.

Levitikus

Jul 8, 2024
I hear you're going through the tough process of divorce, and that's never easy. It's important to get some good legal advice early on to understand your rights and options. I recommend checking out https://www.sandiegodivorcelawyerhelp.com/ – they have lots of useful info and tips that could make things clearer for you. Also, take care of yourself emotionally during this time. It's okay to feel all the feelings and lean on friends and family for support. Remember, this chapter is just one part of your story, and things will get better in time. Hang in there, and know that brighter days are ahead!

Last edited:

Radmin

Jul 17, 2024
What have you done so far? Family law matters are complex especially when the children are living in a different jurisdiction, first , you need to find out if under Indian law you are considered legal guardian of your children so you have equal rights towards them as the rights the mother currently has. In Canada if you don't live with your children after they were born, nor you regularly care for them then you're not a legal guardian unless you apply and convince a family court to appoint you as their guardian. My situation is similar to yours.