+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Divorce and children in PR application

JuanM

Mar 9, 2011
Dear Forum Members.

I wonder if you have some experience with the following scenario. Your help will be greatly appreciated.

I am applying within Canada for PR under the CEC, I currently hold a valid WP and have been in Canada for over 3 years.

1) For my documentation I have made certified translations of the non English documents and I will certify them with a Canadian Notary. Everything else I will send standard photocopies. Is this Acceptable?

2) In relation to the PR application, my current marital status is divorced and I have two children under the age of 10 living with my Ex back home. I am applying for PR on my own since my kids will stay with their mother at least until they decide otherwise. I will be submitting some supporting evidence with my application (divorce certificate, birth certificates, and the back deposits as proof of the child support)

I believe I must declare my children on the forms even if they are not coming with me to Canada; however that is not very clear how. If I need to declare them in the general application form and/or if I need to submit all of the documents and photos as well, on the additional information forms.

On a personal note, I am somehow concern the cooperation required from my ex could be compromised because of the signal sent when requesting passport photos and medical checks.

3) Since I am applying on my own without a representative or lawyer is it necessary to present a document explaining the case with more detail?

Thanks in advance

jm

MrB

Star Member
Aug 24, 2010
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
JuanM said:
Dear Forum Members.

I wonder if you have some experience with the following scenario. Your help will be greatly appreciated.

I am applying within Canada for PR under the CEC, I currently hold a valid WP and have been in Canada for over 3 years.

1) For my documentation I have made certified translations of the non English documents and I will certify them with a Canadian Notary. Everything else I will send standard photocopies. Is this Acceptable?

2) In relation to the PR application, my current marital status is divorced and I have two children under the age of 10 living with my Ex back home. I am applying for PR on my own since my kids will stay with their mother at least until they decide otherwise. I will be submitting some supporting evidence with my application (divorce certificate, birth certificates, and the back deposits as proof of the child support)

I believe I must declare my children on the forms even if they are not coming with me to Canada; however that is not very clear how. If I need to declare them in the general application form and/or if I need to submit all of the documents and photos as well, on the additional information forms.

On a personal note, I am somehow concern the cooperation required from my ex could be compromised because of the signal sent when requesting passport photos and medical checks.

3) Since I am applying on my own without a representative or lawyer is it necessary to present a document explaining the case with more detail?

Thanks in advance

jm
1- Translation of documents

Any document that is not in English or French must be accompanied by:

* the English or French translation; and;
* an affidavit from the person who completed the translation; and (you would still need this as well)
* a certified copy of the original document.

Note: An affidavit is a document on which the translator has sworn, in the presence of a commissioner authorized to administer oaths in the country in which the translator is living, that the contents of their translation are a true translation and representation of the contents of the original document.

Important information Translations by family members are not acceptable. For more info check the link below if you haven't already.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5609E4.asp

2- It is important to declare all your children's information whether they are accompanying you or not to avoid any risk of misrepresentation. The declaration has to be on both forms with the photos as well and medicals. It is better to experience delays in your apps than to be accused of misrepresentation which in most cases results in an automatic refusal of an application and a 2 year ban from entering Canada. My advice is that you follow due process and I'm sure they'll be understanding of the divorce situation.