+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Diving into French

meetp23586

Jun 21, 2024
Hey everyone! My wife and I are about to dive into learning French, and we could really use your advice! For those of you who've been down this road, how long did it take you to reach CLB 5? Which can give us better idea, i know its depends on dedication and grasping ability but still curious to know.
We're excited but not entirely sure what to expect, so if you have any recommendations or tips to help us along the way, we'd love to hear them.
Thanks in Advance

arelka

Sep 21, 2024
Hello! I learnt French to CLB7 and it's not easy. French is harder than English, grammar and spelling wise. Your journey to CLB5 will take about 500 hours of active useful work. What I mean is that watching a movie with subtitles or listening to a podcast in the background doesn't count. How you spread this time matters. With less intensity it'll be harder to see progress. What will help you the most - clarity on what and how to learn and a lot of self-discipline to keep going when you don't feel like doing grammar exercises or feel stuck on a plato.

How do you learn? By yourself? With a tutor? Using an app?

Bon courage !

meetp23586

Jun 21, 2024
We would be start learning with the help the tutor.
Can you also let us know what helped you the most to get to CLB 5 and what did not?
Also, do know any alternatives where we can learn french for free? We live in Waterloo, Ontario.
Thank you for insights and spending time on this thread.

arelka

Sep 21, 2024
I started with Duolingo. I actually bought a year subscription, it was cheap for me. And since it's a family sharing subscription, two people can use it same subscription on their device. I did lessons there for 2 hours everyday for half-year. That helped me to learn to read/prononce words, pick up vocabulary and listen to phrases being said while reading them from the screen.
What I regret is that I didn't type words but taped on words to fill out the blanks. I don't know if this is available on the phone app. 100% it was available in the browser. It made it harder to spell correctly later on. Many words resemble English ones, but spelling is a bit different. For example, "gouvernement" - "government", "collègue" - "colleague", etc.

Verbs are the heart of French language, so conjugating them correctly cannot be emphasised enough. When you learnt verbs, learn them with prepositions they go with like "àider à = to help", not just "aider = to help", "discuter de = to discuss", not just "discuter = to discuss". There's no logic or silver bullet but memorising here.

Same with nouns - their gender is just something you need to hear, say and write enough times for each word to stick in your mind as masculine or feminine. There are some tricks with endings, but it's not much of help to be honest.

Another great sources, once you already now a bit of words, is Chatterbug - app, free. They have short video records on grammar topics.

Basically, to make use of language automatic, you need to repeat things enough times. Again, once you have learnt the basics, I recommend channel Fralaland on youtube. Repeat many times after the videos and it'll stick.

I'm not sure about 100% free options. I ended up paying a tutor since I wanted results faster.