+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Difference in Education and work experience

amlesh18

Jan 29, 2018
Hi All,

I have completed my Bachelor of Engineering in mechanical stream but have a 4 year of experience in IT industry (working as a software developer).
Am I eligible to apply for PR/ express entry?
Any helpful response is appreciated.

Thanks

Tony20182017

Star Member
Jan 15, 2018
AOR Received.
19-09-2017
Hi All,

I have completed my Bachelor of Engineering in mechanical stream but have a 4 year of experience in IT industry (working as a software developer).
Am I eligible to apply for PR/ express entry?
Any helpful response is appreciated.

Thanks
Hi, your work experience should be ideally in the same field as your education.

The 4 year work experience will likely not be considered as valid unless you can prove with extremely thorough documentation your work was equivalent to sort of work normally done after bachelors in IT field. Then they may consider it as valid work experience and give you necessary points. But be prepared for more thorough scrutiny and result is uncertain.

noscaf2014

Nov 2, 2016
Hi, your work experience should be ideally in the same field as your education.

The 4 year work experience will likely not be considered as valid unless you can prove with extremely thorough documentation your work was equivalent to sort of work normally done after bachelors in IT field. Then they may consider it as valid work experience and give you necessary points. But be prepared for more thorough scrutiny and result is uncertain.
This is 100% wrong. Please ignore this answer.
Your work experience and education don't have to be in the same field. Your job as a Software Developer will count as a valid work experience as long as it is paid and NOC 0, A, or B. In fact, this is clearly stated by IRCC as follows:
Note: The applicant does not need to demonstrate that they meet the “employment requirements” listed in the NOC occupational description."
So, don't worry about your past education and choose the NOC code that matches you job duties and responsibilities as a Software Developer. Your application will be checked similar to any other applicant and you definitely will not be under "more thorough scrutiny and result is uncertain" just because your work experience is different from your education. Good Luck!

Source: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/perm/econ/fsw/minimum.asp

Reactions: APPNOV2014NY

Tony20182017

Star Member
Jan 15, 2018
AOR Received.
19-09-2017
I
This is 100% wrong. Please ignore this answer.
Your work experience and education don't have to be in the same field. Your job as a Software Developer will count as a valid work experience as long as it is paid and NOC 0, A, or B. In fact, this is clearly stated by IRCC as follows:
Note: The applicant does not need to demonstrate that they meet the “employment requirements” listed in the NOC occupational description."
So, don't worry about your past education and choose the NOC code that matches you job duties and responsibilities as a Software Developer. Your application will be checked similar to any other applicant and you definitely will not be under "more thorough scrutiny and result is uncertain" just because your work experience is different from your education. Good Luck!

Source: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/perm/econ/fsw/minimum.asp
I may be wrong. But I remember at time of filling the forms for FSW, there was a mention that only that work experience will be counted which has been acquired after getting the relevant qualifications. At least for O level category. That is why I could only claim 2 year work experience for points, and had to exclude 4 years prior to that. So if education is in different field, how is that relevant to the work experience?

So you may want to explain on that. But happy to be proven wrong and your link does seem likely I am on the wrong.