+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

difference between visitor visa and visitor record?

jisu lee

Aug 10, 2016
im currently in canada on visitor record and it says Temporary residence maintained (i have paper document)

i knew that visitor visa and visitor record are different.... but how different between these?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Believe a visitor record sets a date by which you should leave the country whereas a visitor visa just faciltates you entering the country. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/visa/processing/record.asp

Generally when someone enters the country as a visitor they can stay for upto 6 months and there is a degree of trust they will leave so no exit date is given . However if the border officer is not convinced about intentions then they will issue a visitor record with a specific leave by date.

Aug 23, 2016
If you have Single Entry Visa for 6 Months then you have to Exit form Canada before Expiring Visa Date.
If you have Multiple entry Visa for 10 Years or less then when you enter in Canada, Date of entry to count 180 Days to stay.
If they put specific date on stamp of entry and Exit, That is VISITOR RECORD.

Jalex23

VIP Member
Apr 12, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-2013
Doc's Request.
09-04-2014
AOR Received.
06-11-2013
Med's Request
05-04-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
Passport Req..
07-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
06-09-2014
- A TRV (usually called a visitor visa) is a sticker in your passport that allows you entry to Canada if you are from a visa required country.
- A TRP (usually called a visitor record) is a piece of paper that is given to you granting a visitor status for special lengths of stay.

bipin_thumar@yahoo.com said:
If you have Single Entry Visa for 6 Months then you have to Exit form Canada before Expiring Visa Date.
If you have Multiple entry Visa for 10 Years or less then when you enter in Canada, Date of entry to count 180 Days to stay.
If they put specific date on stamp of entry and Exit, That is VISITOR RECORD.
This is incorrect.

jisu lee

Aug 10, 2016
thanks for everyone's responses..
i do have paper that contain specific length of date
but i was wondered what "remained temporary residence statu" mean so... i see BTW:)!!!

Deb_VisCheck

Aug 2, 2017
- A TRV (usually called a visitor visa) is a sticker in your passport that allows you entry to Canada if you are from a visa required country.
- A TRP (usually called a visitor record) is a piece of paper that is given to you granting a visitor status for special lengths of stay.

My wife got TRP for 18 months, does this visa allow to get a SIN? Thanks in advance

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
My wife got TRP for 18 months, does this visa allow to get a SIN? Thanks in advance
Clarify whether your wife holds a TRP (which means she is inadmissible to Canada but has special permission to enter) or a TRV.

Deb_VisCheck

Aug 2, 2017
Clarify whether your wife holds a TRP (which means she is inadmissible to Canada but has special permission to enter) or a TRV.
TRP
1.Unless authorized prohibited from engaging in employment
2. Must leave Canada by ...
3. Unless authorized, prohibited from attending any educational institution OR taking any academic, Professional or vocational, training courses

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
TRP
3. Unless authorized, prohibited from attending any educational institution OR taking any academic, Professional or vocational, training courses
With a TRP valid for more than 6 months, she can apply for a work permit.

Reactions: Deb_VisCheck

m_e_Ragab

Jul 15, 2018
With a TRP valid for more than 6 months, she can apply for a work permit.
My wife has a Visitor Record valid for One Year with the same conditions;

can she or myself apply for a work permit, I have a normal TRV and don't have a Visitor Record,

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
My wife has a Visitor Record valid for One Year with the same conditions;

can she or myself apply for a work permit, I have a normal TRV and don't have a Visitor Record,

No.

SimonAgre

Nov 18, 2021
HI all thank you for helping people with their question i have one myself

I am currently in Canada with my family with a work permit and my wife as well, my 2 kids were granted also stay both with different situations....

the younger one is an american citizen so she was given only a stamp in her passport however in order to qualify for socical security i had to request her visitor record to be matched with our work permits......

as for my 2nd one well..... his passport is from a country that needs visa and has a visa in it and when we enter we were given a visitor record... however the record itself has an expiration date different than the rest and the reason is because is based in the passport expiration date.... so we already requeste d a new passport and will arrive soon, so my question would be, Do ineed to apply for a visa inside canada first, and then apply for the visitor record extension? can i do both process at the same time, or do i need to apply for the visitor record extension, and then the visa? we are not planning to travel outside canada anytime soon so ondering if only the visitor recor d need extension now that the passport has being updated, or i need the new visa first and the the record.

based on timelines my kid could be out of the expiration date o f the visitor record while waiting fo rthe visa to be processed. but the passport will arrive on time for us to start the process of visitor record extension if the visa is not needed

thanks in advance for your help