+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Didn't meet PR residency obligation, can I visit?

kokokokokoko

May 10, 2016
Hi there, guys, I was wondering how can I visit if I have failed to meet pr residency obligation? Can I just apply for a regular tourist visa or what?

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
kokokokokoko said:
Hi there, guys, I was wondering how can I visit if I have failed to meet pr residency obligation? Can I just apply for a regular tourist visa or what?
Only a Foreign National is eligible for a tourist visa or visitor status.

Unless and until your PR status is formally terminated, you are a PR, not a FN, and thus not eligible for visitor status.

You can apply for a PR Travel Document, and then, if and when that application is denied, and once the period of time to make an appeal has passed, you would then no longer be a PR and you might be eligible for visitor status (of course you have to meet the other requirements).

You can surrender your PR status, either via a Canadian visa office at an embassy abroad, or at a PoE if you somehow are able to travel to the border and seek entry into Canada. Here again, this will terminate your PR status, make you a FN again, and you could then seek visitor status like any other FN in your similar circumstances.

Losing PR status this way should have no negative impact other than, of course, losing PR status. Indeed, for some it may be easier to obtain visitor status going forward than it might be for other FNs from the same country (as there is apparently less risk of overstaying).

kokokokokoko

May 10, 2016
Yes, I realize that so I would have to make sure I have significant "roots" in my home country before applying.
Just tell me one more thing- do I need to apply for a travel document and wait out the appeal or can I just surrender my PR status?

Thanks.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
kokokokokoko said:
Yes, I realize that so I would have to make sure I have significant "roots" in my home country before applying.
Just tell me one more thing- do I need to apply for a travel document and wait out the appeal or can I just surrender my PR status?

Thanks.
You can surrender your status without applying for a PR Travel Document. This is easily done at a PoE. I am not familiar with the procedure for doing it through a visa office in an Embassy, but I do know that it is available.

If you apply for a PR TD, and do not appeal, that decision is final and your PR status is terminated as of the day after the period of time for filing an appeal. I think but am not sure that is 60 days after the PR TD is denied.

amry

Star Member
Nov 19, 2015
Hi,
I applied for PRTD and been refused.
My husband and son enter Canada before the expiry date.
I am just going to apply for tourist visa in January.
Hopefully I will be granted