+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Did I lose my working rights?

mailman234

Star Member
Apr 28, 2021
I'm an open work permit expiring October (2022), but I applied for new closed work permit all the way back in January and still haven't heard anything.

IRCC sent me automated letter saying: "Please attach this letter to your present work permit Number _______ as proof that you are authorized to continue working with the same conditions (ie: employer and occupation) until 22 April or until a decision is made on your application, whichever is first. This extended period of work is authorized as per subsection 186(u) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations. If you leave Canada before a decision is made on your application, you will no longer be authorized to continue working."

I am in US visiting family and I also worked for my Canadian employer from home. I'm going back to Canada next week to resume working in office.

But I'm confused and worried that I don't have working rights anymore because I left Canada before a decision was made on new permit. But I still have valid open work permit expiring in October.

What to do when I return to Canada?