+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Detroit Walk-in Application (urgent help please)

ponchi

May 24, 2011
Hi All,

I am a Turkish citizen who is on an F1 visa and I need to go to Canada on June 2nd for a tournament.

I sent my document to New York City office as I was told that they're the fastest. It's been a month and I didn't get my passport back. I need my passport as soon as possible for an emergency school situation so I assigned a friend as my representative and she was able to convince them to get my passport tomorrow. And there will be no visa as they couldn't even locate my passport. They basically put it somewhere and forgot about it.

Now, I'm thinking to visit Detroit for a walk-in visitor visa application on 27th Friday. (This is the earliest I could get my passport) They emailed me saying that same day service is not guaranteed. I was wondering if there is anyone who did a walk-in application in Detroit? What is the processing time? All my documents are perfect and I have solid evidence that I'll be back to US. I have sufficient funding and my country is not listed in the mandatory wait list.

I don't want to spend my time and money if I'm not going to get in on time. So, I need advice. Should I do a walk-in application? Even if they will process within 3-4 days, it should be okay. All I need to know is if I'll be able to make it on time.

Thanks in advance,

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

ponchi said:
Hi All,

I am a Turkish citizen who is on an F1 visa and I need to go to Canada on June 2nd for a tournament.

I sent my document to New York City office as I was told that they're the fastest. It's been a month and I didn't get my passport back. I need my passport as soon as possible for an emergency school situation so I assigned a friend as my representative and she was able to convince them to get my passport tomorrow. And there will be no visa as they couldn't even locate my passport. They basically put it somewhere and forgot about it.

Now, I'm thinking to visit Detroit for a walk-in visitor visa application on 27th Friday. (This is the earliest I could get my passport) They emailed me saying that same day service is not guaranteed. I was wondering if there is anyone who did a walk-in application in Detroit? What is the processing time? All my documents are perfect and I have solid evidence that I'll be back to US. I have sufficient funding and my country is not listed in the mandatory wait list.

I don't want to spend my time and money if I'm not going to get in on time. So, I need advice. Should I do a walk-in application? Even if they will process within 3-4 days, it should be okay. All I need to know is if I'll be able to make it on time.

Thanks in advance,
1. It is pointless to try and walkin at Detroit. Here is what is said on its web site

IMPORTANT NOTICE: We have recently installed a new computer system in all US offices. As a result, applications are taking longer than usual to process. If you wish to apply for a temporary resident visa, work permit or study permit, we encourage you to submit your application by mail and to ensure that you fill in and validate the forms found on our website . We can only process applications which are submitted with all required forms and all questions answered. Incomplete applications and those which have not been validated online will be returned to you. We recommend that you apply at least 3 months in advance of your planned travel. Thank you for your understanding.

The Visa Section of the Canadian Consulate in Buffalo will be closed to all walk-in temporary resident service from Monday, June 6 through Friday, June 10 2011.

This closure is necessary to enable us to deal with an unprecedentedly large inventory of mail-in applications that have pushed our processing times for such applications to record lengths. Our goal is to use this time to eliminate this backlog completely.

Note the processing time for TRVs is 30 days.

ponchi

May 24, 2011
Thanks for the reply. Here what they said in email:

Sir/madam,

Please not same-day service is not a guarantee.

Note that the list of required documentation is not exhaustive and is merely suggestions . It is your responsibility to satisfy the visa office of your bona fides.

So I thought that there is a chance that I could get in on time. I wonder if someone tried after they post this on website.