+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Destitute Student

nadjukk

Dec 15, 2017
Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has gotten their work permit through humanitarian reasons by being destitute.
I've already applied by mail and I'm still waiting for their decision, but it's taken more than 5 months now.

Can someone who got their work permit in terms of being destitute describe the process?
Is the work permit only for the next semester of your studies? Will you be able to study full-time/part-time? Is there a chance that you can get it renewed again?

Thanks

Last edited:

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
There isn't a humanitarian reason for getting a work permit for being a destitute student. As part of your conditions of getting a student permit, you need to prove you have the financial capacity to cover your studies and expenses.

I'm sorry you're having such a tough time. Have you reached out to your school to see the supports available?

nadjukk

Dec 15, 2017
I'm on my 3rd year of studies and the government has a program to aid destitute students by giving them open work permits but information about the program is scarce and whomever I've spoken with, has given me different answers.

School has suggested me to apply for the permit and wait and see what's going to happen

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) exemption code: H81

This exemption applies to foreign students who, due to circumstances beyond their control, may find themselves unable to meet the cost of their studies in Canada, be it their day-to-day needs or their tuition.
Eligibility
Each case should be considered on its own merit. Some cases will be self-evident such as cases of war, upheaval in home country, collapse of the banking system, etc., while others will require further explanation by the applicant, usually at an interview with an immigration officer.

An open work permit may be issued for the purposes of short-term relief only, and should coincide with the duration of the current term of study (not for the duration of the entire program of studies, or for the duration of the study permit).
What are the circumstances beyond your control?

nadjukk

Dec 15, 2017
Thanks for your response.
Unfortunately for me, my country's banking system has collapsed, so I can get no help from my home country. So I thought I could seek advice from other people who have been in my situation and have successfully obtained a work permit.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks for your response.
Unfortunately for me, my country's banking system has collapsed, so I can get no help from my home country. So I thought I could seek advice from other people who have been in my situation and have successfully obtained a work permit.
What country?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
The banking system hasn’t collapsed. Iran is definitely going through an economic crisis but that is different than a banking collapse.

nadjukk

Dec 15, 2017
I understand, but that itself has caused me to be in this situation in the first place. There's no WesternUnion or SWIFT there, they've sanctioned almost everything to keep the economy restrained, and that's affecting me to pay my expenses here.
Imagine having $100,000 3 years ago only to realize now all those assets are worth less than $30,000 and now I really can't pay my tuition, even if I somehow find a way to get access to whatever's left of my assets there, which is still not enough.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has gotten their work permit through humanitarian reasons by being destitute.
I've already applied by mail and I'm still waiting for their decision, but it's taken more than 5 months now.

Can someone who got their work permit in terms of being destitute describe the process?
Is the work permit only for the next semester of your studies? Will you be able to study full-time/part-time? Is there a chance that you can get it renewed again?

Thanks
You are likely not going to get any answers here. In my years on the forum, I've only seen a few posts about this topic and never seen anyone actually get the work permit.

nadjukk

Dec 15, 2017
I have used most of the money I had to pay my tuition so far, but honestly, I'm working part-time and that's the only thing I can rely on at the moment.
Does anyone have any information regarding studying while working full-time?
Can I be a part-time student for a semester while working full-time? I know one of the requirements for the post-graduation work permit is continuous full-time studies, but could this be an exception?!

I've called the IRCC hotline and they've told me it all depends on whether you get the work permit or not and even they didn't have information about how should I proceed with studying and working full-time.
It's very doable for me since I can skip classes (or take evening classes) and attend exams, but still, that's a great deal of pressure.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
There aren't "exceptions" to the PGWP full time requirement. If you get the work permit, you'll likely need to balance the full time studies and work.

The intention of the destitute student work permit is to allow you to survive. If you're that bad off, the PGWP should not be your primary concern, unfortunately.

nadjukk

Dec 15, 2017
There aren't "exceptions" to the PGWP full time requirement. If you get the work permit, you'll likely need to balance the full-time studies and work.

The intention of the destitute student work permit is to allow you to survive. If you're that bad off, the PGWP should not be your primary concern, unfortunately.
In other threads, I've read that some students were working full-time illegally or even studied part-time for a semester or two and they were able to extend their study permits and even get their PGWP.

Is there any other way to stay in Canada after studies other than applying for a PR (which will take 6 months for Federal and a month for my province)? An alternative to PGWP? I already have many job offers, but I'm most probably sure I'm not LMIA exempt at all, and I'll get stuck further down that path. This post-graduation open work permit is really amazing!! :(

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Those students likely misrepresented themselves, not to mention worked illegally. While IRCC may have missed that on first review, it will eventually be discovered.

I'm puzzled. What's your primary concern - going to work because you're destitute, or staying in Canada?

Be aware the work permit for a destitute student is a last ditch, emergency permit. If you qualify for it, your future IRCC applications may be reviewed more stringently.