+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Dependent Spouse Open Work Permit (SOWP) - Primary Applicant Lost Job - Closed Work Permit

ssejpal

Star Member
Mar 21, 2019
Posting on-behalf of a friend.

Hello Everyone,

My Friends wife (Primary Applicant) is on Employer bound work permit - Intra Company Transfer (ICT) (where she can't change the job), now she lost the job and being asked by Employer to go to home country but my friend (Dependent) is on Dependent Spouse Open Work Permit (SOWP) and having a good job.
  1. They can stay in Canada ? and my friend (Dependent) can continue his job ?
  2. How long they can stay ?
  3. They can visit home country during this time ?
Thank You.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020

Hello Everyone,

My Friends wife (Primary Applicant) is on Employer bound work permit - Intra Company Transfer (ICT) (where she can't change the job), now she lost the job and being asked by Employer to go to home country but my friend (Dependent) is on Dependent Spouse Open Work Permit (SOWP) and having a good job.
Thank You.
1. Can stay in Canada until work permit expires. If friend has lost job then she cannot work. Spouse can on OWP.
2 When permit expires.
3. If they have valid vistor visas to return. Wife may be asked to show proof of employment since on a closed work permit so could be denied entry. Will not know until return.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Hello Everyone,

Thank You.
Did your friend ever work for the company in Canada? Seen a multiple cases where companies apply for ICT but person never works in Canada. There seems to be a few companies that are misrepresenting their employment needs to IRCC. That could be problematic since the SOWP was granted based on the fact that primary applicant was needed to work in Canadian offices.

Last edited: