+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Dependent for a Permanent Resident

Janoo P

Dec 20, 2009
Hello All! Could anybody please let me know if my husband who is a Permanent resident in Canada can take me as a dependent. If so, will I get a Spousal Open Work Permit.

Thanks,
Janoo

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
Janoo P said:
Hello All! Could anybody please let me know if my husband who is a Permanent resident in Canada can take me as a dependent. If so, will I get a Spousal Open Work Permit.

Thanks,
Janoo
Did you marry him after he has landed as PR?

Janoo P

Dec 20, 2009
Yes..I agree but sponsoring for PR is a lengthy process and it is taking time.. So, in the mean wanted to check if he can take me as the dependent and also if it is possible for me to work there..

Thanks a lot,
Janoo

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
Janoo P said:
Yes..I agree but sponsoring for PR is a lengthy process and it is taking time.. So, in the mean wanted to check if he can take me as the dependent and also if it is possible for me to work there..

Thanks a lot,
Janoo
You can work in Canada once you got your PR after he has sponsored you.

Janoo P

Dec 20, 2009
Thanks..Yes..I agree but sponsoring for PR is a lengthy process and it is taking time.. So, in the mean time we wanted to check if I can go to Canada as the dependent and also if it is possible for me to work there..

Thanks a lot,
Janoo

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
Janoo P said:
Thanks..Yes..I agree but sponsoring for PR is a lengthy process and it is taking time.. So, in the mean time we wanted to check if I can go to Canada as the dependent and also if it is possible for me to work there..

Thanks a lot,
Janoo
Yes it can be a lengthy process. You are coming as his spouse and your children or his children as his dependent children. You can try to apply as a visitor (application time maybe shorter) but you won't be able to work.

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can apply to be a visitor, but there is no special status as a "dependent" that you can apply for. You could apply for a temporary work permit while you wait for your application to be processed, and you must go through the regular channels.

There is no special advantage to being married to a Canadian except the right to apply for PR.

Janoo P said:

Thanks a lot,
Janoo