+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Dependent children of skilled workers?

galaxys0

Aug 15, 2018
Hello everyone.

I have a job offer from an employer who got an approved LMIA, the position is skill level A. I've been searching CIC website for some answers to questions I had, but couldn't find anything, so hopefully someone knows something here :)

- Background: I have a spouse and two children of age 13 and one child of age 18.

1) Will the 13 years olds go to school for free?

2) What about the 18 years old? He will be 19 in August. He's doing his first year of A-Levels and will start University next year (September 2020) in the UK. Can he also come to Canada and go to school for free? And which school will be free? High school or also University?

3) Can my spouse come and live in Canada without an Open Work Permit? Or he must apply for one?

4) What about provincial insurance for all of them? Will they be eligible?

I hope someone can help me understand.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Hello everyone.

I have a job offer from an employer who got an approved LMIA, the position is skill level A. I've been searching CIC website for some answers to questions I had, but couldn't find anything, so hopefully someone knows something here :)

- Background: I have a spouse and two children of age 13 and one child of age 18.

1) Will the 13 years olds go to school for free?

2) What about the 18 years old? He will be 19 in August. He's doing his first year of A-Levels and will start University next year (September 2020) in the UK. Can he also come to Canada and go to school for free? And which school will be free? High school or also University?

3) Can my spouse come and live in Canada without an Open Work Permit? Or he must apply for one?

4) What about provincial insurance for all of them? Will they be eligible?

I hope someone can help me understand.
1. Yes, pretty much each province allows minor children of work/study permit holders to attend school for free.
2. He will probably have to pay international rates of tuition, somewhere about $14K per year.
3. Your spouse can come as a visitor.
4. In BC work permits holders, where the work permit is for longer than 6 months can get BCMED, 3 month waiting period. Dependent child and spouse can be included. Check out the province where the job is. In BC the 18 year old would have to be in full time attendance at Post Secondary school to be eligible.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Should mention that university and college is not free even for Canadians. Agree he would be considered an international student and will need a student permit plus admission to a university or college.

Your 13 year old would only need a TRV.