+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Dependent child..

snikok

Jan 6, 2010
Hello everybody.
I've faced the following question:

Now I'm 20 y.o.. My sister sent an application about my mother and me (her dependent child) about 3 years ago. But i am wondering, if i'll have turned 22 by the time of invitation me to the interview and i still wont be a FULL-TIME student, will it make any sense? (according to rules, dependent child is a person under 22 or 22 y.o. but full-time student.)..

apologize for my poor language.. :)
thank u

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Because you were under 22 when the application was made, your age was locked in so as long as you don't get married or enter into a common law relationship, you still get to go with your mother.

vonster

Star Member
Jan 5, 2010
My mother sponsored my brother and by the time he arrived he was over 22 yrs old.
I think as long as you were under 22 when you applied, you'll be ok.

I also applied to sponsor my father and his son that's 12 yrs old (my stepbrother).

Does anyone know if I can claim either or both of them as my dependant once in Canada for income tax?

Thanks

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Quite possibly yes, but it depends on if you fulfill the criteria. You can find them here:

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/tpcs/ncm-tx/rtrn/cmpltng/ddctns/lns300-350/305/lgbl-eng.html

snikok

Jan 6, 2010
Karlshammar said:
Quite possibly yes, but it depends on if you fulfill the criteria. You can find them here:

Thank u for the link.
Actually they talk there about dependent children of sponsor. There are some differences in rules between an applicant and a sponsor.. :)
Thank u anyway.

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Snikok,

snikok said:
Thank u for the link.
Actually they talk there about dependent children of sponsor. There are some differences in rules between an applicant and a sponsor.. :)
Thank u anyway.
Yes, the link was in response to Vonster's question about tax deductions. Sorry, I should have made that clear.