+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Dependent child of spouse - age requirements?

happymama

Jun 26, 2013
Hello!
My husband and i are in the process of completing the paperwork to sponsor his daughter, my step-daughter. She just turned 18 and will be doing her medical in mid-January, so we intend on submitting the documents shortly thereafter.
I have a few questions:

1) is her age "locked in" once CIC receives the file for processing?

2) if I have documents (in Spanish) needed for her application that were already translated back in 2008/2009, are these okay to submit? The reason I ask; the CIC website states that along with the translations, an affidavit from the person that translated is required. We don't have this with the original translations.

Thanks in advance for your help!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

happymama said:
Hello!
My husband and i are in the process of completing the paperwork to sponsor his daughter, my step-daughter. She just turned 18 and will be doing her medical in mid-January, so we intend on submitting the documents shortly thereafter.
I have a few questions:

1) is her age "locked in" once CIC receives the file for processing?

2) if I have documents (in Spanish) needed for her application that were already translated back in 2008/2009, are these okay to submit? The reason I ask; the CIC website states that along with the translations, an affidavit from the person that translated is required. We don't have this with the original translations.

Thanks in advance for your help!
1. Yes, the age is "locked in"
2. No, you will need a new translation,

Any document that is not in English or French must be accompanied by

the English or French translation; and
an affidavit from the person who completed the translation, if required.

Translations by family members are not acceptable. A family member is defined as being a parent, guardian, sibling, spouse, grandparent, child, aunt, uncle, niece, nephew or first cousin.

Note: An affidavit is a document on which the translator has sworn, in the presence of a commissioner authorized to administer oaths in the place where the affidavit is sworn, that the contents of the translation are a true translation and representation of the contents of the original document. Translators who are certified members in good standing of one of the provincial or territorial organizations of translators and interpreters of Canada do not need to supply an affidavit.