+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Dependent child of a PNP nominee before PR approval

2infiniti

Jun 17, 2022
Hello, I have a dependent child (age of 9) who was also a part of my PR application.

My situation:

Nomination received, landed in Canada, received work permit (2.5 years), started working, PR still in progress.

My question:

I plan to bring my child to Canada to study. Does he need to separately apply for a study permit? Can he receive free education in BC?

Thanks!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello, I have a dependent child (age of 9) who was also a part of my PR application.

My situation:

Nomination received, landed in Canada, received work permit (2.5 years), started working, PR still in progress.

My question:

I plan to bring my child to Canada to study. Does he need to separately apply for a study permit? Can he receive free education in BC?

Thanks!
Yes the child needs to apply for a study permit to qualify for free public education in BC. Do you have over 6 months left on your WP? Would apply as soon as possible because it can take some time to process. No need for school approval letter to apply just specify that they will attend the public school in your catchment area.

2infiniti

Jun 17, 2022
Yes the child needs to apply for a study permit to qualify for free public education in BC. Do you have over 6 months left on your WP? Would apply as soon as possible because it can take some time to process. No need for school approval letter to apply just specify that they will attend the public school in your catchment area.

Thanks so much for your reply. I have actually researched on the topic since my post, minor corrections

Study Permit

Minor children don’t need a study permit if:
  • they’re in pre-school, primary or secondary school, and they’re already in Canada with a parent who has a work or study permit
So in my case since I have a work permit and have already started working, my child will not need a study permit. Source: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/study-permit/eligibility.html

Also just to add to the knowledge base,

Free Education

The following persons may receive free public education in BC:

A student who is in British Columbia with his or her guardian if the guardian meets one of the criteria set out below. Guardians must be able to provide documentation to substantiate that they meet these criteria:
  • Has been lawfully admitted to Canada for temporary residence and is authorised to work for a period of one year or more, and is or will be employed for at least 20 hours per week;
Source: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/education-training/k-12/administration/legislation-policy/public-schools/eligibility-of-students-for-operating-grant-funding

In this case, also due to my work permit, my child will be able to receive free education

Vancouver School Board also has an awesome FAQ, one of which actually covers exactly the two questions above

If I have a Work Permit to work in Canada, can my child go to school without paying tuition fees? Do I need to apply for a Study Permit for my child?
For your child to go to school without paying tuition:
  • the child's parent/legal guardian must have a valid work permit issued by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) that is valid for a term of one year or more, AND
  • is or will be employed for at least 20 hours per week, AND
  • the child's parent/legal guardian must be residing in British Columbia
  • Your child does not need his or her own Study Permit.
Source: https://www.vsb.bc.ca/nwc/page/11309/documentation-eligibility-questions

Hope this helps someone in the future!