+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Dependent child and refugee

mikereyes72

Aug 21, 2019
I am sponsoring my wife from Colombia under the spousal sponsorship program. She has 2 dependents who are 4 and 20 years old and we are adding them in the sponsorship.

However the eldest went to Canada on March this year and crossed the border from USA to Quebec through the forest and he claimed asylum.

How will my stepson's asylum claim affect his sponsorship as a dependent under the spousal program?

Please help. Thank you.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I am sponsoring my wife from Colombia under the spousal sponsorship program. She has 2 dependents who are 4 and 20 years old and we are adding them in the sponsorship.

However the eldest went to Canada on March this year and crossed the border from USA to Quebec through the forest and he claimed asylum.

How will my stepson's asylum claim affect his sponsorship as a dependent under the spousal program?

Please help. Thank you.
It likely won’t create huge issues for the sponsorship although it will likely create more scrutiny of your application. If already going to be sponsored why did he risk having an asylum request record on his immigration record? This can have some serious implications on future travel or temporary visas (especially the US) or extended family getting permission to visit Canada in the future.