+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Definition of "student" - how many courses?

Jan 29, 2008
I'm an American citizen and I did my four years of undergrad in Canada (main reason was because it was so much cheaper than the States.) I graduated last spring, but now I'm interested in some post-grad work. How many courses do I need to take to get a Canadian work permit? Do I have to take the five courses required to be a full time student? Or am I able to take two or three at a time? Thanks!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

JenniferChristine said:
I'm an American citizen and I did my four years of undergrad in Canada (main reason was because it was so much cheaper than the States.) I graduated last spring, but now I'm interested in some post-grad work. How many courses do I need to take to get a Canadian work permit? Do I have to take the five courses required to be a full time student? Or am I able to take two or three at a time? Thanks!
As per the Manuals:

"5.10. Part-time studies
The Regulations make no special mention of part-time versus full-time studies. Pursuant to the
Act, Regulations and this chapter, a student requires a study permit whether or not their studies
are on a full-time or part-time basis. There are no minimum hours of study required of a studypermit
holder to satisfy the conditions of their study permit, unless otherwise indicated in the
study permit's conditions; R185(c)(iv) allows an officer to impose the times and periods of the
studies."

PMM

TA

Sep 20, 2010
PMM would that mean a student could take just two course every semester (6 credit hours), complete 4 semseters in 2 years at a recognized institute and become eligible to apply for a 3 years post graduate work permit?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

TA said:
PMM would that mean a student could take just two course every semester (6 credit hours), complete 4 semseters in 2 years at a recognized institute and become eligible to apply for a 3 years post graduate work permit?
Depends what the school considers "full time" CIC says 15 hours per week.