+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Deadline for moving to Canada and extenuating circumstances

Feb 14, 2021
I have a PR Card through Express Entry dated Dec 2018 and expiring in Dec 2023. We did our soft landing in Sep 2018.

Questions I am trying to find answers to -

1. Do I have until (A) Dec 2021 or (B) Sep 2021 to move to Canada such that I retain my PR? (730 days in trailing 5 years)?
  2. Would I be allowed to even move to Canada after December 2021 or even after September 2021 with the authorities knowing that I cannot satisfy 730 days/5 years requirement due to the delay in moving?
  3. Are there ways to extend my deadline to move (Sep or Dec 2021) in the light of the Covid lockdown or on other such grounds? I had approvals in my company to move to Canada in February - but Covid just hit then and my employer laid off a bunch of people and I didn't push this conversation further after that.
  4. Can you please recommend a good immigration advisor or attorney that can answer some of these nuanced questions and advice me on any creative solutions?
  5. Can letting this PR card expire impact my future chances of immigration to Canada?

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I have a PR Card through Express Entry dated Dec 2018 and expiring in Dec 2023. We did our soft landing in Sep 2018.

Questions I am trying to find answers to -

1. Do I have until (A) Dec 2021 or (B) Sep 2021 to move to Canada such that I retain my PR? (730 days in trailing 5 years)?

1. Would I be allowed to even move to Canada after December 2021 or even after September 2021 with the authorities knowing that I cannot satisfy 730 days/5 years requirement due to the delay in moving?

1. Are there ways to extend my deadline to move (Sep or Dec 2021) in the light of the Covid lockdown or on other such grounds? I had approvals in my company to move to Canada in February - but Covid just hit then and my employer laid off a bunch of people and I didn't push this conversation further after that.

1. Can you please recommend a good immigration advisor or attorney that can answer some of these nuanced questions and advice me on any creative solutions?
  2. Can letting this PR card expire impact my future chances of immigration to Canada?
You have until Sept 2021 to return to meet the residency requirement.

You will be allowed to enter Canada but you may be reported for failing to meet the residency requirement. If you are able to re-enter Canada without being reported, then you would simply live in Canada for 2 years straight and then you'll be able to renew your PR card. If on the other hand you are reported, you'll need to appear at a hearing to argue why you should be allowed to keep your PR status.

There isn't any way at this time to extend your deadline to move to Canada.

Feb 14, 2021
You have until Sept 2021 to return to meet the residency requirement.

You will be allowed to enter Canada but you may be reported for failing to meet the residency requirement. If you are able to re-enter Canada without being reported, then you would simply live in Canada for 2 years straight and then you'll be able to renew your PR card. If on the other hand you are reported, you'll need to appear at a hearing to argue why you should be allowed to keep your PR status.
Thank you so much Scylla.

Could I be reported for failing to meet residency requirement even if I move in say August 2021, one month ahead of the deadline? I assume not, but just confirming.

Also, say I move in Aug 2021, but over the next 2 years, I end up traveling out of Canada on work or personal obligation for more than a month, does that trigger the risk of being reported if Canadian authorities find at some point that I will not be in a position to maintain PR come September 2023, or do they usually look the other way as long as I am living in Canada primarily?

Thank you very much. Also, are you an immigrant attorney or consultant that I can professionally reach out to for consultation or a valued fellow member helping out newbies? Either way, I really appreciate your help.

Last edited: