+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Day’s Calculations

RAM88

Oct 14, 2018
Hello everyone,

I came to Canada in 2017 as a refugee claimant. My hearing in 2018 was rejected, and both my appeals to the Federal Court and for review were also rejected. In 2018, my status changed to common-law partner, and I applied for sponsorship through this status. Due to the pandemic, everything was delayed, and I finally received my PR in 2022. During these years, I never left Canada and only traveled outside the country for the first time in 2022.

Now, I'm looking to apply for citizenship, but I'm confused about the calculation of my residency days. My lawyer informed me that no matter how long I stayed in Canada before obtaining PR, only one year of that time will be counted. However, others have told me that time before PR doesn't count at all. I want to ensure I calculate my days correctly. If anyone has insights or similar experiences, please share.
Thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello everyone,

I came to Canada in 2017 as a refugee claimant. My hearing in 2018 was rejected, and both my appeals to the Federal Court and for review were also rejected. In 2018, my status changed to common-law partner, and I applied for sponsorship through this status. Due to the pandemic, everything was delayed, and I finally received my PR in 2022. During these years, I never left Canada and only traveled outside the country for the first time in 2022.

Now, I'm looking to apply for citizenship, but I'm confused about the calculation of my residency days. My lawyer informed me that no matter how long I stayed in Canada before obtaining PR, only one year of that time will be counted. However, others have told me that time before PR doesn't count at all. I want to ensure I calculate my days correctly. If anyone has insights or similar experiences, please share.
Thanks
Lawyer is very wrong. You can only start counting from the time you became a PR in 2022. Pre PR time can only be counted if you held valid status or were a protected person. You were neither.

Reactions: Buletruck