+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Date You became qualified for NOC A Job | Work Experience | FSW | Express Entry

Satyam1010

Oct 7, 2021
I am applying for Express Entry under FSW in Canada as a Software Engineer (NOC 2173). In the website it says that this occupation usually requires a university degree in computer science.

I am ok with that, I got my degree this year in 2021, but I have 1 year work experience (outside Canada) before I got my degree in hand, as I was given full time job offer from the company in which I was placed through campus placement of my University.

Also, a university degree is not required legally for practicing software development. Many people who are great software developers never went to university.

My question is, should I put my graduation date as the date I first became qualified to practice this occupation? Or should I put the date I started my first job as a software engineer which is July 2020 ?

It is important for me, as if it is counted, it will save me a whole one year of work experience.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I am applying for Express Entry under FSW in Canada as a Software Engineer (NOC 2173). In the website it says that this occupation usually requires a university degree in computer science.

I am ok with that, I got my degree this year in 2021, but I have 1 year work experience (outside Canada) before I got my degree in hand, as I was given full time job offer from the company in which I was placed through campus placement of my University.

Also, a university degree is not required legally for practicing software development. Many people who are great software developers never went to university.

My question is, should I put my graduation date as the date I first became qualified to practice this occupation? Or should I put the date I started my first job as a software engineer which is July 2020 ?

It is important for me, as if it is counted, it will save me a whole one year of work experience.
You can count your work experience from July 2020 to the present. You want around a CRS score of 470+.

Satyam1010

Oct 7, 2021
So i have cleared languages exams as well, it was just that, i read everywhere, that you can either claim points for education or work experience, then i was just like, what about those people who have full time job, but will get the degree certificate later

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
So i have cleared languages exams as well, it was just that, i read everywhere, that you can either claim points for education or work experience, then i was just like, what about those people who have full time job, but will get the degree certificate later
You can claim work experience as long as skilled.

Satyam1010

Oct 7, 2021
Okay, so suppose i do that, will later there be any kind of questions like, how you can do the job full time before you got your degree ?