+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Current Cohabitation for inland - just arrived in Canada

ivan1992

Mar 17, 2021
Hi there,

Quick explanation of the situation: I'm the PA (Spanish) and my Canadian common-law partner will be my sponsor for an inland application. We met and lived together in Dublin, Ireland, since 2019 until we decided to move to Canada back in December. I'm on a visitor visa (eTa).

Now here's my question: when filling out the imm5589 checklist, it asks on question 7. a) to provide documentation of current cohabitation if you're living together - does this mean cohabitation on our current address in Canada, or since we started living together in Dublin? This one is a bit confusing since we never got separated, and moved together at the same time, so not sure if our current cohabitation will consider our place in Dublin as well.

In case I have to provide proof of our current address: this is quite scarce. We only have a rental agreement and a few letters that were sent to our address, like packages and stuff, so nothing official, while we have plenty of proof for our place in Dublin. Also, if this is the case, the checklist only asks for past cohabitation if you are NOT living with your partner at the moment.

Quite confused with this one, so just wondering if anyone has had the same doubts here and how they did it :) any info and tips will be gladly appreciated!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi there,

Quick explanation of the situation: I'm the PA (Spanish) and my Canadian common-law partner will be my sponsor for an inland application. We met and lived together in Dublin, Ireland, since 2019 until we decided to move to Canada back in December. I'm on a visitor visa (eTa).

Now here's my question: when filling out the imm5589 checklist, it asks on question 7. a) to provide documentation of current cohabitation if you're living together - does this mean cohabitation on our current address in Canada, or since we started living together in Dublin? This one is a bit confusing since we never got separated, and moved together at the same time, so not sure if our current cohabitation will consider our place in Dublin as well.

In case I have to provide proof of our current address: this is quite scarce. We only have a rental agreement and a few letters that were sent to our address, like packages and stuff, so nothing official, while we have plenty of proof for our place in Dublin. Also, if this is the case, the checklist only asks for past cohabitation if you are NOT living with your partner at the moment.

Quite confused with this one, so just wondering if anyone has had the same doubts here and how they did it :) any info and tips will be gladly appreciated!
We did not file as common law so grain-of-salt, etc.

You can add explanation of your situation in a letter of explanation. Provide what you can for your current cohabitation and that you moved at same time etc.

But the key is to document WELL your common-law cohabitation period beginning in 2019. As long as that period is more than 12 months with a clearly documented begin-date (whatever that may be), it should be okay.

(It is actually in your interests to show earlier start date of cohabitation as it attests to relationship, but the must-have is 12 months continuous living together with clear start date)

Reactions: ivan1992

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Also, your rental agreement in both names in Canada and evidence of arriving together is good. You can note that since you only recently arrived, your other documentation in Canada is thin as yet. (Phrase it better than I've put it of course)

Reactions: ivan1992

ivan1992

Mar 17, 2021
Also, your rental agreement in both names in Canada and evidence of arriving together is good. You can note that since you only recently arrived, your other documentation in Canada is thin as yet. (Phrase it better than I've put it of course)
Amazing, thank you! I was thinking about that, it might be easier to simply explain our situation and send every piece of proof we have, but just wanted to make sure this was acceptable as processing times now are kinda crazy and don't want the app to be sent back after like 6 months...