+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Current closed work permit holder - able to work online as well?

partymummy

Feb 8, 2017
Hi everyone! I've seen quite a few questions about working online while living in Canada without a work permit, but I haven't seen a situation where someone is already in Canada on a work permit and wants to work online.

I am currently living and working in Canada on a closed work permit (tied to a specific employer), and I have been here for about 8 months. I would like to pick up some extra work to supplement my income. I'd like to pick up some freelance work online, through a site such as upwork.

My work permit says "not authorized to work in any occupation other than stated" and "not authorized to work for any employer other than stated".

The cic website clarifies that online work for non-Canadian companies getting paid in non-Canadian dollars does not qualify as 'work' in regards to work permits :

What kind of activities are not considered to be “work”?
long distance (by telephone or internet) work done by a temporary resident whose employer is outside Canada and who is remunerated from outside Canada;
So, my assumption is that I could legally pick up some extra work online for US companies, and this would not violate the terms of my closed work permit. Is this correct? Additionally, when my work permit renewal comes around next year, will this be an issue? Does it even need to be addressed?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yes - you could work for a US company remotely provided none of the work you're doing is for Canadian companies / customers / clients.

partymummy

Feb 8, 2017
Excellent, thanks scylla! Just to make sure I have my ducks in a row - let's say I do some freelance work for a company that's based in the US. They hire me to do some work for their company, and pay me in US Dollars. If that company has some Canadian clients, but my work in no way involved them, would that be ok? I'm planning on doing some copywrite work, so my interactions will be limited to the company itself. Does it matter what the company does after I'm done with the work? If it involves Canada, is that an issue?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yes - it absolutely matters what the company does with your work. The work you do cannot be for Canadian clients or end up benefiting or in the hands of Canadian clients. If it does, you're engaging in illegal work. The work you are doing must end up in the hands of non-Canadian clients only. You need to make sure you can stick with these rules before engaging in any work with this company.

partymummy

Feb 8, 2017
Ok, thanks for the clarification. If I eventually gain Permanent Residency, then I will no longer need to worry about these restrictions, correct?

daf450

Star Member
Dec 9, 2019
hi everyone, i am also on a closed work permit, i would like to start publishing in kindle amazon publishing service. is this allowed as i may be getting royalties from around the world while continuing my closed work permit ?

thanks a lot!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
hi everyone, i am also on a closed work permit, i would like to start publishing in kindle amazon publishing service. is this allowed as i may be getting royalties from around the world while continuing my closed work permit ?

thanks a lot!
No that isn’t possible.

Ben88

Oct 8, 2022
Yes - you could work for a US company remotely provided none of the work you're doing is for Canadian companies / customers / clients.
Could you please share any sources for this matter that you are referring to? I also have the same question and issue. I highly appreciate it, thank you