+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CRS points for contract experience

JoacRy

Champion Member
Oct 23, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi, I am currently employed by a Recruitment agency as a "Contractor" even though I receive a 'T4' form for 3 months (though the agency said that the company has option to take me off the agency payroll and put me on the company payroll at any time).

Under my EE profile I qualify for CEC and FSW. I am sure I don't get points for CEC, but my question is do I get points for either:
a) CRS or
b) FSW or
c) neither?

Please help me as I am freaking out, and staring to feel very nervous. :(

JoacRy

Champion Member
Oct 23, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
BTW, I should mention I have over 8 years documented experience in my field in my home country.

Intezaar

May 26, 2015
If you have one year full time experience in NOC O,A or B in Canada (even if contract) you will qualify for CEC as well as get points for canadian work experience.

You should have 12 (or 52 if weekly) monthly pay stubs to prove this. To qualify for CEC or get points job need not be permanent. However it should be full time 1 year or 2 years part time in NOC O,A or B

JoacRy said:
Hi, I am currently employed by a Recruitment agency as a "Contractor" even though I receive a 'T4' form for 3 months (though the agency said that the company has option to take me off the agency payroll and put me on the company payroll at any time).

Under my EE profile I qualify for CEC and FSW. I am sure I don't get points for CEC, but my question is do I get points for either:
a) CRS or
b) FSW or
c) neither?

JoacRy

Champion Member
Oct 23, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you for your reply. I've stated the details of my 'contract' in the employment section of my EE profile. In your opinion should I leave it as is? I don't know if the 'Employment' section of the EE is only for people who are 'employees' and not people on a 'contract'.

Thanks in advance of you and anyone else who replies.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
JoacRy said:

a) CRS or
b) FSW or
c) neither?

The agency is your employer, the company where you work is your client. But as long as you are paid like an employee by the agency (T4, statutory deductions taken from paychecks, etc.) then this constitutes valid employment, which IS eligible under the CEC program.

The term "contractor" is imprecise and confusing to many people. It usually means "independent contractor"=self-employed (not eligible under CEC, but eligible under FSW).

But you can also be a "contract employee"= term limited employment (not permanent employment). This is not self-employed. It is employment, and eligible under CEC.

And then, you can be "contracted out" by your employer (Firm A) to a client (Firm B). You remain an employee of the first firm. This is also employment, and eligible under CEC.

In your case, if it is possible, if you get an ITA, it helps to get a letter from both your employer and your client. They don't have to contain the same details, but they should be complementary and mutually reinforcing.