+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Crohn's

Vahids

Jun 24, 2021
Hello everyone,

I have applied for PR through the new TR to PR stream and my wife is the main applicant. I have been diagnosed with Crohn's disease two years ago, a month before coming to Canada. I took Mezavant for a year and I was in remission but since my flare-ups got back my doctor prescribed Imuran which had worked for 4 months but lately again flare-ups are active.
It is eating me up whether my situation is medically inadmissible or not. I am on cheap medication. Does anyone know if new biosimilars made the cost of Crohn's treatment cheaper that overcomes the excessive demand for healthcare?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
In fact, I am in a similar situation. Did you obtain permanent residency or was your application rejected?
It will be extremely dependent on your actual case. Would warn you that Canada does not have a national pharmacare plan so unless you find an employer who offers extended healthcare benefits your costs may be quite high out of pocket.

Jul 23, 2024
It will be extremely dependent on your actual case. Would warn you that Canada does not have a national pharmacare plan so unless you find an employer who offers extended healthcare benefits your costs may be quite high out of pocket.
I just want to know if Crohn's disease will affect my application and my application for permanent residency will be rejected. I am in remission and I only take amural 50 mg. The cost of my monthly medication is equivalent to 50 dollars.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I just want to know if Crohn's disease will affect my application and my application for permanent residency will be rejected. I am in remission and I only take amural 50 mg. The cost of my monthly medication is equivalent to 50 dollars.
The cost of humira or biosimilars is 10-25ishK a year in Canada. You can only bring in a 3 month supply from India and then must use Canadian supplied medication after that.

Jul 23, 2024
The cost of humira or biosimilars is 10-25ishK a year in Canada. You can only bring in a 3 month supply from India and then must use Canadian supplied medication after that.
I do not use any of these medications. I use medications Azathioprine i think I do not expect its cost to be high. In your personal opinion, my normal condition is very good. I do not suffer from any symptoms. Can my application be rejected?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I do not use any of these medications. I use medications Azathioprine i think I do not expect its cost to be high. In your personal opinion, my normal condition is very good. I do not suffer from any symptoms. Can my application be rejected?
if you are in a flare you would likely need biologicals again and need to consider that you may need to pay for them longterm. Doesn’t lead to automatic denial it is a case by case situation.