+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Criminal record

kingmyself77

Dec 8, 2009
Hi all,
I have only one criminal offence on my record which is public intoxication( public drunkness) . I was convicted with this offence in USA back in July 2006. I was put in jail for one night then paid $100 fine.

Am I inadmisible for Canadian visa? I read a little bit on the subject and it seems that ONE summary offence wont make you inadmisible. Is that right? Anybody nows about this please?

helios

Star Member
Oct 30, 2009
kingmyself77 said:
Hi all,
I have only one criminal offence on my record which is public intoxication( public drunkness) . I was convicted with this offence in USA back in July 2006. I was put in jail for one night then paid $100 fine.

Am I inadmisible for Canadian visa? I read a little bit on the subject and it seems that ONE summary offence wont make you inadmisible. Is that right? Anybody nows about this please?
Should this be your sole offence record, it shall not affect your inadmissibility.

jeeesssss

Dec 15, 2009
Hi!
I have a similar situation and i would really like to know if someone who was charged with possession of marijuana and a class of misdemeanor (end of sentence 2008) can immigrate to Canada?
I would like to know before submitting my application so I don't waste my money and time.

Thank you all,
-jessica

jeeesssss

Dec 15, 2009
jeeesssss said:
Hi!
I have a similar situation and i would really like to know if someone who was charged with possession of marijuana and a class of misdemeanor (end of sentence 2008) can immigrate to Canada?
I would like to know before submitting my application so I don't waste my money and time.

Thank you all,
-jessica
Also, that person is a U.S. resident. And would like to move to Québec by being sponsored (spousal).

any help would be great!

helios

Star Member
Oct 30, 2009
jeeesssss said:
Hi!

Thank you all,
-jessica
Depends. Are the two charges arising out of a single occurrence? If not, then you are inadmissible, under IRPA S36(2)(b).

Reactions: Julia.jenn4

jeeesssss

Dec 15, 2009
helios said:
Depends. Are the two charges arising out of a single occurrence? If not, then you are inadmissible, under IRPA S36(2)(b).
Yes, the two charges are from a single occurrence. does this mean that it doesn't matter, and that I should go ahead and apply? Will it decrease my chances?

helios

Star Member
Oct 30, 2009
jeeesssss said:
Yes, the two charges are from a single occurrence. does this mean that it doesn't matter, and that I should go ahead and apply? Will it decrease my chances?
If so then your criminal records shall not negatively effect your inadmissibility.