+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CRA tax return while application is open

ytzmarlon

Nov 4, 2015
Hello Friends,

My partner and I applied for PR through common law in land sponsorship in Jan 2017. She is the applicant I am the sponsor. Now I am filing my tax return for 2016. One of the questions is whether your status changed from single to common law or married. I answered yes, as we completed 1 year of living together on December 2016.

To continue with the tax return, I would need to input a social insurance number for her, which we do not have. I remember on the PR application there was a question whether or not your filed taxes showing your common law partner ship.

Should I continue and declare myself as single as she does not have a social insurance number? Has anyone been in this situation before?

Also, I am aware of the CRA hotline number, 18009598281, every time I call it is telling the me queue is full, to call back.

Thanks!

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
ytzmarlon said:
Hello Friends,

My partner and I applied for PR through common law in land sponsorship in Jan 2017. She is the applicant I am the sponsor. Now I am filing my tax return for 2016. One of the questions is whether your status changed from single to common law or married. I answered yes, as we completed 1 year of living together on December 2016.

To continue with the tax return, I would need to input a social insurance number for her, which we do not have. I remember on the PR application there was a question whether or not your filed taxes showing your common law partner ship.

Should I continue and declare myself as single as she does not have a social insurance number? Has anyone been in this situation before?

Also, I am aware of the CRA hotline number, 18009598281, every time I call it is telling the me queue is full, to call back.

Thanks!
If you're common-law for 2016 tax year, then you put common-law. Doesn't matter the status of your common-law partner or if they have a SIN.

If doing tax return by hand you can just write in "No SIN" or "not a resident" or something in space for SIN. If using a tax program you can try entering in 000 000 000 for her SIN as that is a universal way to indicate no SIN number.

If she was living with you in Canada, then you can also claim her in the "spouse/common-law partner" amount as a tax credit.