+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Cousin marriage question

Luv4all88

Star Member
Oct 21, 2023
Hi guys I would appreciate if someone can answer this for me. I am a Canadian citizen, married to my wife for over two and half years and we have a daughter together who is already a Canadian citizen because of me.

Now I am about to submit our application to sponsor my wife ( it has been a really long process to gather everything); With our application, I am attaching a couple of letters( including supporting letters) to explain how we met, how our relationship developed to marriage. She is basically my 1st cousin’s daughter from my father side (1st cousin 1x removed), so my question is instead of saying “1st cousin 1x removed” in my explanation letter, can I say we were “distant cousin….” since there’s a generation gap or is that phrase only for 2nd cousin, 3rd cousin?? I have 2-3 letters so I don’t want to say 1st cousin 1x removed everywhere, I would like to know if distant cousin is also the correct terminology in this case.

Secondly from what I have read, cousin marriages are legal in Canada and it is common in our culture where we got married, but on this Canadian immigration website under not related by consanguinity https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/non-economic-classes/family-class-determining-spouse/legality.html#marriageIsValid

it says “To contract a valid marriage, a person must have the “capacity” to do so. An element of capacity is that two people are not blood relatives, i.e. related by “consanguinity”.

Did they mean to say blood relatives lineally since otherwise cousins are also blood relatives and would therefore be included in the prohibited list but are not?

Sorry if it’s confusing, I am just trying to be reassured they won’t raise any objection to our marriage just because we are cousins.

Luv4all88

Star Member
Oct 21, 2023
The application form asks if you are related so I obviously have to answer that unless you are saying I lie on it.
As for cousin marriage, its extremely common and acceptable in our culture(maybe not for you specifically) , and as far as I read its legal in most countries of the world including Canada, so I see no benefit to hide it or lie about it.

I would like to know why you feel I shouldn't share this information, like how would it affect the application instead of just passing judgement.

Last edited:

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Did they mean to say blood relatives lineally since otherwise cousins are also blood relatives and would therefore be included in the prohibited list but are not?

Sorry if it’s confusing, I am just trying to be reassured they won’t raise any objection to our marriage just because we are cousins.
The answer is in the link you posted, where it says "The following relationships, whether by consanguinity or adoption, fall within the prohibited degrees. In Canada, applicants may not marry their:" ... . In that list, neither cousins nor cousins once removed is mentioned. There's no issue. Only direct filial or parental, basically, including grandparents and on. Those not mentioned are okay (as long as terminology used is correct).

As to how you name this in the form, I have no opinion. Personally 'distant' sounds incorrect, and cousin sounds vague enough as to not mean (necessarily) first cousin, but part of that may be influence of other languages. If / when asked to answer the question precisely I would use the precise term (cousin, once removed); in other contexts, up to you.

Luv4all88

Star Member
Oct 21, 2023
Ok, thanks for your input, that's what I wanted to know. I guess I will stick with "1st cousin once removed" and add "of similar age" to show there's no significant age gap between us.