+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Course Change Within Same DLI & DLI Change

Bk_98213

Aug 11, 2022
Hello everyone!

Please can someone help:

My application for study permit has been approved and I already received my stamped passport. I will be landing in Canada on August 29 & classes start on 6th September.

Scenario (1) I'm enrolled in George brown college and would like to change to humber college (change of DLIs) before the start of my classes (on 6th september)

Scenario (2) Can i change my course/program within the same DLI before classes start (for example from international business graduate certificate program to project management graduate certificate program)

(3) people are saying that yes it is possible to change DLI after one semester, but what is the point then? the courses you studied for in your old DLI will just be wasted right? and the fees also. this is really difficult.

(4) it will be risky to do all this right? because lets say you want to extend your study permit for another course and apply for pgwp eventually. It would be a gray area?

I plan to do this after landing in Canada.

The problem is on IRCC website it states that
"actively studying while you're in Canada"

So i believe i cant change DLIs and i cannot even change my program within the same DLI?
I'm so worried, I really want to purse something else or go to a different DLI but clearly I cant!

Please someone assist.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hello everyone!

Please can someone help:

My application for study permit has been approved and I already received my stamped passport. I will be landing in Canada on August 29 & classes start on 6th September.

Scenario (1) I'm enrolled in George brown college and would like to change to humber college (change of DLIs) before the start of my classes (on 6th september)

Scenario (2) Can i change my course/program within the same DLI before classes start (for example from international business graduate certificate program to project management graduate certificate program)

(3) people are saying that yes it is possible to change DLI after one semester, but what is the point then? the courses you studied for in your old DLI will just be wasted right? and the fees also. this is really difficult.

(4) it will be risky to do all this right? because lets say you want to extend your study permit for another course and apply for pgwp eventually. It would be a gray area?

I plan to do this after landing in Canada.

The problem is on IRCC website it states that
"actively studying while you're in Canada"

So i believe i cant change DLIs and i cannot even change my program within the same DLI?
I'm so worried, I really want to purse something else or go to a different DLI but clearly I cant!

Please someone assist.
You can not change DLI. Your study permit is for GB. You will need a new study permit if you have no intention of studying at GB. So if you are enrolled at George Brown then you must attend GB for at least one semester. After onesemester, you can request to change DLI and program.

IRCC closed the loophole on students arriving in Canada and changing DLI. The point is to apply for the program you really want to attend and complete. Many students were coming for a Masters program and then on entry changed to a college, one year diploma, as an example.

RDS

Apr 26, 2017
i also have same qyery as u posted in scenario 2 only i want to change course to 2 yr program in same DLI

Bk_98213

Aug 11, 2022
@Naturgrl

So if i study for one semester but i change to a different DLI and program after that, then what about the courses i studied in the first term and the full fees i already paid. for example if i study project management in GB and in the next semester i change to HR in humber then all will be wasted?

so i'm really not clear on this rule.

Moreover, there is something called "authorized leave". so can we avail that?

i really need to change colleges, i'm stuck!! i'm still outside canada and will be landing in about 20 days

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
@Naturgrl

So if i study for one semester but i change to a different DLI and program after that, then what about the courses i studied in the first term and the full fees i already paid. for example if i study project management in GB and in the next semester i change to HR in humber then all will be wasted?

so i'm really not clear on this rule.

Moreover, there is something called "authorized leave". so can we avail that?

i really need to change colleges, i'm stuck!! i'm still outside canada and will be landing in about 20 days
Correct, you may have wasted your semester if you can’t transfer credits. That is your issue not IRCC. As I said, IRCC closed the loophole. When you enter Canada to get your study permit, you will show that you are registered and attending GB.

If you have not entered Canada and plan to attend Humber then you need a new study permit. You aren’t eligible for authorized leave as you need permission from GB to defer studies. But that doesn’t allow you to start studies at another school.

Bk_98213

Aug 11, 2022
Correct, you may have wasted your semester if you can’t transfer credits. That is your issue not IRCC. As I said, IRCC closed the loophole. When you enter Canada to get your study permit, you will show that you are registered and attending GB.

If you have not entered Canada and plan to attend Humber then you need a new study permit. You aren’t eligible for authorized leave as you need permission from GB to defer studies. But that doesn’t allow you to start studies at another school.

so if i apply for a new study permit now, do i need to redo everything?

biometrics, medical, New Statement of purpose (SOP), re-attach all documents, pay the fees for biometric, medicals etc.

and will they process it faster?

Bk_98213

Aug 11, 2022
@Naturgrl

What about if i want to change program within SAME DLI

For example:

I'm enrolled in project managment in humber

but i want to change to supply chain management

PROJECT MANAGEMENT (Graduate certificate) to Supply Chain Managment (Graduate Certificate also)