Med's Done....
06-01-2012
Passport Req..
waiting
VISA ISSUED...
waiting
LANDED..........
waiting
I am U.S Permanent Resident and I have been living in the US for the past few years. However, last month I moved to Saudi Arabia for a temporary work assignment.

In the 'General Application form' or Form IMM0008, it asks me for my 'current country of residence'. I don't want to put Saudi Arabia there in fear of being of moved into Abu Dhabi visa office instead of Buffalo. Any ideas what I should do?

Note: I asked this question in the Buffalo thread but no one replied. That is why I am opening a new thread. I apologize for doing this. I really need some advice.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
How long will you be in Saudi Arabia? I think if you keep your residence in the States, and are clearly being sent by your employer in the States for only a few months, you could keep US as your country of residence.

pineywoods

Dec 25, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Los Angeles
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-02-2012
File Transfer...
31-05-2012
Med's Done....
06-01-2012
Passport Req..
waiting
VISA ISSUED...
waiting
LANDED..........
waiting
The contract is for 2 years. But I JUST moved there. So, according to the instructions in the forms by CIC, my country of residence is where I have been living AT LEAST 1 year given that I have been lawfully admitted to that country. USA meets both aspects of that definition whereas Saudi Arabia meets only the second part of the definiton (at least until January 2013, when it will meet both parts of the definition).

Also, unfortunately, I am not working for a US employer. I am teaching at a Saudi university.

Any other information or advice or personal experience or anecdotes will greatly help. Thanks.

CharlieD10

VIP Member
Sep 5, 2010
Northern Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
KGN
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-2011
File Transfer...
09-05-2011
Med's Done....
17-01-2011, 08-03-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
30-3-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-04-2012
LANDED..........
06-06-2012
There are specific exit requirements for Gulf residents, as part of being approved for Canadian PR, they are often expected to resign their jobs and have this resignation accepted and acknowledged by their employer, and cancel their work visas, among other things. If you just moved there and are on a 2 year contract, perhaps you might delay applying until you are further along in your stay and capable of fulfilling such conditions if they ask them of you. Abu Dhabi takes 25 months (just over 2 years) to process an application, so maybe that would actually fit well into your plans.

You retain the right to have your application processed in Buffalo as a US resident, but given your current position and the unique requirements of being admitted for PR from the Gulf region, you might find that even if you choose Buffalo your file ends up being transferred to Abu Dhabi and that causes additional delays.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

pineywoods said:
The contract is for 2 years. But I JUST moved there. So, according to the instructions in the forms by CIC, my country of residence is where I have been living AT LEAST 1 year given that I have been lawfully admitted to that country. USA meets both aspects of that definition whereas Saudi Arabia meets only the second part of the definiton (at least until January 2013, when it will meet both parts of the definition).

Also, unfortunately, I am not working for a US employer. I am teaching at a Saudi university.

Any other information or advice or personal experience or anecdotes will greatly help. Thanks.
Please re-read the instructions it says ADMITTED for 1 year or more, not live for a year or more. You realize that by leaving the US for 2 years, you can be putting your "green card" in jeopardy ?

missmini

Champion Member
Oct 6, 2009
Visa Office......
Amman
App. Filed.......
01-2012
Doc's Request.
05-2012 (CSQ approved)
AOR Received.
07-2012
File Transfer...
04-2012
Med's Done....
11-2011 (extended until 11-2013)
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
02-2013 (finalyyyyyy)
LANDED..........
07-2013 (DONE - thank u all :):):))
PMM said:
Hi

Please re-read the instructions it says ADMITTED for 1 year or more, not live for a year or more. You realize that by leaving the US for 2 years, you can be putting your "green card" in jeopardy ?
hey, sorry for bumping in this thread; but i found PMM observation interesting....PMM, does that mean that someone who has a multiple-entry business/tourist visa for 1-2 years in a country could be processed through that country? although he never resided there, just temporary trips? thank you for clarifications!!!

as for the initial question, i believe that the current country of residence is saudi arabia because it is there where u currently live; even if u would put another place (the States) Saudi Arabia u'll still appear when u need to list all the addresses all the background since u were 18 (in which country u were, what u were doing etc)....and the most recent one would b in suadi arabia from some date until present ::)....u need to answer how the things are not how it would look better for the application....of course, in Saudi u r not permanent resident, u r on work permit, so u'll choose worker and put the expiry date of ur visa....

now, u can ask to be processed in US and u show proof of ur residency in US + proof of ur contract in Saudi emphasizing when it's expiring...but even if u ask, so many people stated before that their application was sent to Abu-Dhabi instead of the requested place and yeah because there are very specific requirements for Gulf residents (as Charlie mentioned)....now some people didn't have to show all those proofs of visa cancellation and so many others but some do....each case and situation is different

i guess u need to do some thinking :) good luck!!

ddobro2

Champion Member
May 4, 2011
Montreal, QC Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
How many years have you been a green card holder and are you married to a U.S. citizen? Which stream will you be applying under when you apply for Canadian PR?
pineywoods said:
I am U.S Permanent Resident and I have been living in the US for the past few years. However, last month I moved to Saudi Arabia for a temporary work assignment.

In the 'General Application form' or Form IMM0008, it asks me for my 'current country of residence'. I don't want to put Saudi Arabia there in fear of being of moved into Abu Dhabi visa office instead of Buffalo. Any ideas what I should do?

Note: I asked this question in the Buffalo thread but no one replied. That is why I am opening a new thread. I apologize for doing this. I really need some advice.