+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Could I live in Canada temporary?

kieran_uk

May 31, 2014
Hi so my name is kieran and i am from England United Kingdom. i hope i am posting in the correct section but basically my partner is a nurse here in England as been offered a position as a nurse in your beautiful country Canada. thing is i was wondering if i would be able to get a visa to go with her. I am 23 years old, i have no trade and no job offer unlike my fiancé. we are engaged, lived together for 5 years and been together for nearly 7 years. i am aware countries like australia do a long term partner visa but is this the case with canada. I wouldn't claim any benefits and i would work with out a doubt, maybe something like some sort of security like i currently do in england. would i get a visa? or is there nothing i can do to go with her for 12 months (which is what her contract length is) i look forward to your replies.

beholder69

Oct 9, 2011
Hi,

You are indeed considered common-law partners, so if she declares you as such on her work permit, you will be eligible for an open work permit as well.

amira_mais

Aug 18, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you can prove that you've been living together for at least 12 months, you would qualify as common law spouses. Because your fiancée will be working as a nurse which is a skilled occupation, you should be able to get a spousal open work permit. Check this link: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/apply-who.asp and scroll down to the "If your spouse wants to work in Canada" section.