+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR and Newborn

akrj2020

Apr 4, 2020
Hi Guys,

Me and my wife received our COPR around December of last year with a expiration date of end of August, 2021. However we couldn't travel due to the travel restrictions in place till June 2021 and then my wife was due for delivery in first week of august, 2021. Since my list of dependents has changed now with our newborn after the issuance of COPR, I believe I will have to notify IRCC about the change to have my newborn added to the list of dependents and I cannot travel using the current COPR. Is that correct ?

Can I do this by reaching out to them via webform ? Will I be issued a new COPR with new validity ? I understand I will have to get the medicals done for my newborn and submit other documents such as birth certificate, passport etc for the newborn and this will incur additional processing time. But I just want to make sure that I do not lose the COPR entirely. Any inputs would be much appreciated.

moe_218

Star Member
Jul 21, 2020
Same case here. As far as I know, you won't lose your COPR. They'll just ask for more documents, medical, perhaps POF since family composition changed. Once cleared, you'll send your passports again for the new Visa (if required) and new COPR
I emailed them 3 weeks back and informed them about our baby. The responded the next day confirming they received the note and my profile status changed. In any case, You cannot enter Canada with your current COPR, not much choice here :)