+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CoPR after March 2020 and a job offer

rev3

Feb 14, 2021
Hi, my husband and I are residing currently in USA and have received our CoPR in Oct 2020. Our CoPR expires in March 2021 and we're planning to move to Vancouver permanently as I've been offered an IT job there, for which I need to join/onboard from March 2021. Please suggest what would be the chances that we'll be permitted to enter Canada in another 2 weeks ? We will be taking a covid test before travelling and have a quarantine plan in place.

Last edited:

willapp

Mar 20, 2020

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/travel-restrictions-exemptions.html#other

I don't think there is any significant changes about exemptions. They did change the quarantine and testing requirements before and after arrival though.
Is this the line you are referring to:

To be eligible, you must meet one of the following requirements:
  • You must be travelling directly from the US for a non-discretionary purpose.
COPR may not be seen as non-discretionary even with a job offer. People on this board with COPR and job offers from the US have been turned away at the border in the past few weeks. OP if you are allowed to enter, let everyone know because people have been turned away. All the best.

Reactions: rev3

willapp

Mar 20, 2020

COPR may not be seen as non-discretionary even with a job offer. People on this board with COPR and job offers from the US have been turned away at the border in the past few weeks. OP if you are allowed to enter, let everyone know because people have been turned away. All the best.
I knew people successfully did even soft landing recently using the land border. Where did you get that people with copr were turned away?

As far as I know, settling in Canada is for non-discretionary purpose. Some people's visas are going to expire soon and they cannot remain in the US.

The language you referred to has not been changed lately (I think it has been the same since March 2020). If you can share your source on people getting rejected we can discuss more. I'd like to know the answer too.

If you’re outside Canada
You can’t come to Canada to validate your COPR and land as a permanent resident right now.

You may be able to come only if:

All other foreign nationals

• You must be exempt from the travel restrictions and be travelling for a non-discretionary purpose.

Last edited:
Reactions: asdq45 and rev3

rev3

Feb 14, 2021
Also, I don't have an AL yet as my CoPR hasn't expired. What would be a safer option here? Travelling by air or land?

asdq45

Star Member
Nov 15, 2020

Would like to see where did you see people posting that many were turned away at the border.

Also, I don't have an AL yet as my CoPR hasn't expired. What would be a safer option here? Travelling by air or land?
From what is stated you should be fine. At the end of day it is upto border officer. From my understanding as long as you carry all papers and prove your intend to stay and with your job offer inhand and coming from US being US resident you should be fine. I dont think either land or air makes any difference for you but you still need your covid tests and quarantine plan depending on what the rules are during the time you arrive in Canada.

Last edited:
Reactions: rev3