+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Contractor for US Company Working in Canada -- EE Points?

apurtuce

Jan 23, 2024
Hi there,

I have worked for a Canadian company for 1.5 years on a PGWP. After that experience, I began working for a US based company (with no office in Canada) for the last 6 months. I would like to qualify this experience as Canadian work experience, given that I have been working full time & continuously and paying my tax here (no source deduction). Is there any way that I can go about doing so? Does anyone have experience working with a lawyer to do such a thing in the past?

Moreover, my job in the US company is a Technical Project Manager. In the case that it counts as foreign work experience, can I still use it to qualify for the STEM occupations stream?

Would greatly appreciate any thoughts and advice

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi there,

I have worked for a Canadian company for 1.5 years on a PGWP. After that experience, I began working for a US based company (with no office in Canada) for the last 6 months. I would like to qualify this experience as Canadian work experience, given that I have been working full time & continuously and paying my tax here (no source deduction). Is there any way that I can go about doing so? Does anyone have experience working with a lawyer to do such a thing in the past?

Moreover, my job in the US company is a Technical Project Manager. In the case that it counts as foreign work experience, can I still use it to qualify for the STEM occupations stream?

Would greatly appreciate any thoughts and advice
To count Canadian experience, you must be working for a Canadian employer with T4 slips/deductions on pay stubs etc. You can count is as foreign experience. Lawyer cannot change rules. Only option is to look into US company partnering with a PEO so you are paid as a Canadian employ but this would not be retroactive. PEOs are complicated so that is where a good immigration lawyer may be able to help.

Reactions: Taran D

apurtuce

Jan 23, 2024
To count Canadian experience, you must be working for a Canadian employer with T4 slips/deductions on pay stubs etc. You can count is as foreign experience. Lawyer cannot change rules. Only option is to look into US company partnering with a PEO so you are paid as a Canadian employ but this would not be retroactive. PEOs are complicated so that is where a good immigration lawyer may be able to help.
Just to confirm -- I can count my current US remote job as foreign work experience, even though I am living in Canada and paying taxes for it as an independant contractor?